Air Travel & Leg Lymphedema

leg pain, leg bleeding, Farrow Wraps, Compression Stockings, cold feet, Reid Sleeve, Restless Leg Syndrome, Leg Cramps, Compression Pumps, Shoes, lower limb lymphedema, secondary leg lymphedema, leg wrapping, Cold Feet, Compression socks, nerve pain, self leg massage, right leg lymphedema

Moderators: Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Air Travel & Leg Lymphedema

Postby lucygirl » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:27 pm

I would be interested in any suggestions re: air travel. At night, I use Reidsleeves on both legs. Has anyone had any experience with air travel and the long cumbersome carrying bag for these? Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Lucygirl
lucygirl

Postby lazyleftleg » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:30 am

i have secondary LE in my left leg and i was told to make sure and wear my compression stocking in flight. i wear my compression stockings pretty much daily and have been on many flights since developing LE and have not had any problems.
lazyleftleg

Re: Air Travel & Leg Lymphedema

Postby nancyr » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:27 pm

I work as a ground agent in the airline industry, so I am on a plane quite frequently. Before I was diagnosed I could barely walk (lymphedema of my left leg) when I got off the plane – even just a short 1hr flight. The solution for me is that I make sure that I drink plenty of water and if I am having a flare up I will wrap my leg with bandages – my normal flight time now is 3 hrs.
nancyr

Postby ma1290 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:06 pm

Do people with lymphedema have trouble with flying? Nancy, you said you could hardly walk - what would happen to your leg that made it so painful?
ma1290

Postby SteveB » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:27 pm

in case of future queries on this topic.

I've flown 5 times with LE of my left leg. I was able to get two Elvarex garments back in 2000. After my 2001 flight to Hawaii from Reno, NV, I began using the Elvarex on all of my flights.
It's too thick a cloth to wear daily without major pain from being over compressed, but for a 5-8 hour flight, it's sweet, and keeps my leg from swelling to the point of being forced inactive.
In 2004, and 2005 I flew to Washington DC from Reno, NV. The elvarex made it much easier to deal with my LE.
I normally wear Gottfried's stockings. Definitely cannot wear them for flying.

Hope this is helpful to the next comer......
SteveB

Postby tetStevens » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:39 am

I was about to open a thread regarding this concern, Leg Lymph-edema. While searching for a good forum to place my query, I was able to locate this thread. Now, I no longer need to ask as good-hearted Mr. SteveB have answered my inquiry.

Thanks for sharing your story. Hope you're doing great today!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you look for truth you may find comfort in the end[ if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin and in the end, despair.
tetStevens

Postby Queenie EJC » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:16 am

Steve, I wear custom-made Elvarex stockings every day. It's the only compression garment that best controls my lymphedema. Thanks for your excellent advice on air travel.
Queenie EJC

Postby royportal » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:34 am

Queenie EJC wrote:Las Vegas Strip Hotels
Circus Circus Las Vegas
Steve, I wear custom-made Elvarex stockings every day. It's the only compression garment that best controls my lymphedema. Thanks for your excellent advice on air travel.

Postby patoco » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:18 am

Wow...that's a long flight Mandy.

The longest flight I ever took was only ten hours and that was way back in the mid-seventies when I was (ugh) so much younger and my lymphedema no where near as bad as it is now.

My leg lymphedema has never had a problem due to air travel, whether it was a long or short flight. The great thing about longer flights like that is that the larger jets are generally used. In them you are much more able to stretch, move around and even take a short walk down the aisle.

There are a few pointers I would mention:

1.) Don't keep your legs at a 45 degree angle - try to stretch them out in front of you as much as possible.

2.) One thing I do periodically is to do stretch and flex exercises right there in the seat. You can flex the thigh muscle, lower leg muscles - even foot muscles while sitting. This is really helpful.

3.) Do try and get up for that short jaunt down the aisle (not like that aother really really long walk down the aisle) :)

4.) Some may not have to, but I do wear compression while on the flight too. The leg swelling, for me, just starts going up the second it is unwrapped or bandaged. This should help and should not interfere with circulation.

5.)My biggest nemisis is cellulitis, so whenever I take a trip, I make certain I take a pres cription bottle of antibiotics with me. that way, if there is an emergency with infection, you can start on treatment while you find where to go to get medical help.

Relx now, and enjoy the trip :!: :!:

Pat

Traveling and Lymphedema

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/thesite ... hedema.htm
patoco
Site Admin

Postby patoco » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:38 am

Hey Mandy

Like I said, just put those worries aside and have a super wonderful time.

We'll look forward to hearing all about it when you get back.

Because of my health, I haven't actually flown anywhere in eons and I do miss traveling around. From the 70s through the 90s I was always flying off to somewhere or another.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby LymphedemaGirl » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:54 am

I have been on two long haul flights since my leg lymphedema started. One from Vienna to Bangkok and one from Munich to Seoul - both around 10 hours (plus the short flight to Vienna and Munich). On the first one I had big problems with my sensitive spots and the lower leg did go up a little, but on the next one I was prepared. I had cut a hole for the bone next to the big toe in an old toecap, that helped a lot, and I would make sure to get up very often to walk around and do exercises. I think that is very important. I wear a grade 3 stocking all waking hours and so of course also on the flights. You can wrap a few rolls of bandages over the stocking or perhaps cut an old stocking at the knee and wear over to have a little extra pressure, but be careful if you have sensitive spots. I have a little guide about flying with lymphedema on my blog.
LymphedemaGirl

Return to Leg Lymphedema