Greetings from another Newbie... in Texas!

Welcome to all our family and friends. Patients, families, caregivers, therapists, nurses, doctors, anyone with a concern for and interest in lymphedema is most welcome!!!

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Greetings from another Newbie... in Texas!

Postby Depoetic » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:37 pm

I just wanted to say hello - and to thank the creaters of this information and fellowship forum.

Here in Abilene, Texas, our available doctors have not learned of Lymphedema. It took a friend of mine in Austin, TX who works for the Heath and Human Services Division of our Government to weed out the information on this disease and your website.

Your postings give me hope - first for the fact that we aren't insane... dad's hand really does have a reason for being blown up like a painful balloon for 3 months now... AND that we aren't alone in this.

I do have a question - for any of you - have you also been suggested the disease "Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy/Complex Regional Pain Syndrome?" symptoms are so similar, that I have no way of discerning the differences - as a layperson.

Well... You are all a godsend... I believe I will go silent now...
Lurk and read.... and read... and read!!
Peace to you in your world today!
--Depoetic
Depoetic

Postby patoco » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:29 am

Hi Depoetic

Super welcome to our family here and am vey glad you did find us. :wink:

I have heard of RSD and we even have a brief page on it with some links for further information.

One of these is American RSD Hope

http://www.rsdhope.org/

Alsp:

Reflex Symptathetic Dystrophy Syndrome Assoc.

http://www.rsds.org/index2.html

The central diference in understanding swelling from lymphedema versus RSD are the symptoms that go along with the conditions.

I think one of the central issues involve pain. RSD is also called Complex Regional Pain Syndrome because of the pain involved. The patient has a severe burning type pain, and the limb is going to be extremely sensitive to touch.

You have neither of these with lymphedema. Lymphedema (LE) especially in the later stages does cause incredible pain. But it is a terrible aching type hurt not like the burning pain of RSD. Nor are the effected limbs sensitive to the touch.

Other features of RSD which are not associated either with LE are actual pathological changes in bone and skin.

Here is an excellent brief bit of info on diagnosing RSD:

Criteria for Diagnosing

Complex Regional Pain Syndrome Type I (RSD)

The presence of an initiating noxious event, or a cause of immobilization
Continuing pain, allodynia, or hyperalgesia with which the pain is disproportionate to any inciting event
Evidence at some time of edema, changes in skin blood flow (skin color changes, skin temperature changes more than 1.1°C difference from the homologous body part), or abnormal sudomotor activity in the region of the pain
This diagnosis is excluded by the existence of conditions that would otherwise account for the degree of pain and dysfunction

Complex Regional Pain Syndrome Type II (Causalgia)

The presence of continuing pain, allodynia, or hyperalgesia after a nerve injury, not necessarily limited to the distribution of the injured nerve
Evidence at some time of edema, changes in skin blood flow (skin color changes, skin temperature changes more than 1.1°C difference from the homologous body part), or abnormal sudomotor activity in the region of pain

This diagnosis is excluded by the existence of conditions that would otherwise account for the degree of pain and dysfunction.

http://www.rsds.org/2/what_is_rsd_crps/index.html

--

The treatment of protocol for lymphedema is called manual decongestive therapy. The involves a hands on type therapy for the LE limb. I doubt that a limb effected by RSD would be able to stand having the therapy done because of the sensitivity to being touched.

Also, lymphedema is a condition strictly of the lymphatic system while RSD is classified as a nerve conditon and is actually involved a malfunction of the nervous sytems. When these nerves misfire, the brain receives constant (often very intense) pain signals.

Does he remember when this swelling started? Is there anyone else that has had any type of unexplained swelling in his family?

I hope some of this will help. Please jot down any questions as you are reading the info and do write back. I look forward to hearing from you.

I am so sorry that your dad has had to go through this, no you all are not insane and there very much is a reaspn that his hand has been swelling and hrting like it has...it just a disgrace that the medical community has not been able to offer the help it should have.

Write back

Best to you both

Pat O
patoco
Site Admin

Postby silkie » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:23 am

HiYa Depoetic

Big welcome from Me too
Amazing info here and fantastic friends that help and make u dare i say feel "NORMAL"

ok a little personal input here from having what we call Repetative strain in the UK Something that for a long time was not recognised as a medical condition in the UK no there are guide lines being set up for
breaks in working hours to help combat is condition

i have both lymph and RS in my left arm

RS for me is a pain that comes really from the wrist up the forarm a numbness developes after hours of contant pain

pins and needels and a real heavy pain when getting feeling back
also it seems so much worse thru the night the littlest task can lead to a numbing of the hand

lymph pain the swelling , the pain is different lymph is for me from shoulder to tips of fingers mld does help eliviate the pressure and pain

swelling with lymph is swlling in every sence that will get bigger and bigger

the pain is like toothache never ending if you dont rest the limb and help with supports /wrapping and mld

hugggggggggggg
hope this is of some help
Silksxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
silkie

Return to Welcome Family