lymph node transplants?

laser workshops, physiatrists, Diaphragmatic Breathing, daflon 500, coumarin powder, nordic walking, lymphocyte injection, essential oils, massagers, ball massage, heat, Lymphomyosot, Self Massage Therapy, Elastin Ampules, Lymphobiology, leg drainage, naturopathy, ace bandages, Craniosacral Therapy, lymph node transplants, Lymphatic-venous anastomosis, vein grafting, lymph vessel transplantation, surgery scrotal lymphedema, shoes

Moderators: jenjay, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

lymph node transplants?

Postby allj » Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:23 am

Recently acquiring secondary le, I have been trying to find some hope. I googled the internet and found a woman who has had breast reconstruction who said she was scheduled for lymph node transplant. When contacted she said that she was rejected as a candidate because she didn't do it soon enough after damage/removal. She said it works and these MD's do it all the time. They are at http://breastcenter.com/about/index.html . What do you think?? Alan
allj

Postby silkie » Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:50 am

Hiya Alan

Hi im a little confused are these other persons lymph nodes?
or are they yours put from one place to another?

If there your own then surely you would just be moving the problem from one place to the other

and transplating a node would not that be extreemly difficult?
i have heard of genetically growing from cellsbut its a way off yet

I also looked at the link and the surgeon does seem to have qualifications in plastic surgery but there is nothing I can see on there that mentions and form of education or training in lymphedema if it was a posiblitity
then i would want to know the surgeon was fully upto speck in lymphedema and i would be talking with my lymph doctor and taking his advice before any surgery . I would be 110% certain of all facts

Hugggggggggggggg
Silksssssssssssxxxxxxxxxxxxx
silkie

Postby allj » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:46 pm

Hi Silkie:
I believe they are your own and am assumming would only be helpful with secondary le. I found this abstract from March 2006. Happy New Year!!
Postmastectomy lymphedema: long-term results following microsurgical lymph node transplantation.

* Becker C,
* Assouad J,
* Riquet M,
* Hidden G.

Service de Chirurgie Thoracique, Hopital Europeen Georges Pompidou, Paris, France.

BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVES: Lymphedema complicating breast cancer treatment remains a challenging problem. The purpose of this study was to analyze the long-term results following microsurgical lymph node (LN) transplantation. METHODS: Twenty-four female patients with lymphedema for more than 5 years underwent LN transplantation. They were treated by physiotherapy and resistant to it. LNs were harvested in the femoral region, transferred to the axillary region, and transplanted by microsurgical procedures. Long-term results were evaluated according to skin elasticity, decrease, or disappearance of lymphedema assessed by measurements, isotopic lymphangiography, and ability to stop physiotherapy. RESULTS: The postoperative period was uneventful; skin infectious diseases disappeared in all patients. Upper limb perimeter returned to normal in 10 cases, decreased in 12 cases, and remained unchanged in 2 cases. Five of 16 (31%) isotopic lymphoscintigraphies demonstrated activity of the transplanted nodes. Physiotherapy was discontinued in 15 patients (62.5%). Ten patients were considered as cured, important improvement was noted in 12 patients, and only 2 patients were not improved. CONCLUSION: LN transplantation is a safe procedure permitting good long-term results, disappearance, or a noteworthy improvement, in postmastectomy lymphedema, especially in the early stages of the disease.

PMID: 16495693 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
allj

Postby silkie » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:57 pm

Thanks Alan

i will definately read it

lI would like to know what longterm actually is

i do find the pub med good lots of info in there

I bet Pat has followed this up i'll check his info to

Hugssssssssssssss

Silksxxxxxxxx
silkie

Postby patoco » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:18 pm

Hi Alan and Silkie :)

Yep...been following this discussion as well as having read the study when it originally came out.

I have actually had the opportunity to discuss lymph node transplantation with a significant number of well respected lymphedema doctors.

They all had the same concern as I have. This is much like robbing Peter to pay Paul.

An astounding number of secondary lymphedemas show up beyond the five year followup of the original study, so a "lengthier" follow time is needed.

Alan, I remember this terrific breakthrough surgery that came out in the late 60's/early 70's. The doctors had this brillant concept that if they were to create a "wick" to draw the lymph fluid in the leg down to the deeper lymphatics of the inner muscles, then it would create a new lymph flow channel.

Brillant idea, but unfortunately, it simply didn't work. I had three of theses procedures in my left leg, called the Thompson's Procedure. I directly credit it for the disasterous state my left leg is in compared to my right leg.

So in as much as these invasive type of surgeries, I am simply not convinced, nor do I trust them.

Pat O
patoco
Site Admin

Postby silkie » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:01 am

Thanks Pat.

it seems to be the season of quick fixes

i would not risk this and i have been reading up on it

even this painful ol body is still worth ro much to me to risk

surgery

Hugss

Silksxxxxx
silkie

Postby patoco » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:25 am

Here is an important update

Vascularized lymph node transplantation induces graft-versus-host disease in chimeric hosts.

Francois CG, Brouha PC, Laurentin-Perez LA, Perez-Abadia G, Grossi FV, Barker JH, Hewitt CW, Kon M, Ramsamooj R, Maldonado C.
Plastic Surgery Research, Department of Surgery, University of Louisville, KY, USA.

BACKGROUND: The role of lymph nodes (LNs) in adaptive immune responses has been the subject of extensive research. In previous studies, the surgical removal of lymph nodes from rat hind limbs prevented the development of lethal graft-versus-host disease (GVHD) after allogeneic hind limb transplantation to chimeric recipient rats. The purpose of this study was to establish the role of the cellular fraction versus the microenvironment of LNs in the development of GVHD in this model.

METHODS: A rat model for vascularized LN transplantation was developed and graft-versus-host responses were compared after: 1) naive ACI LN cells were infused into Wistar-Furth (WF) rats as chimeric recipients (e.g. [ACI-->WF]); 2) vascularized WF lymph nodes were transplanted to syngeneic WF recipients; 3) nonvascularized ACI lymph nodes were transplanted to [ACI-->WF] chimeric recipients; 4) vascularized ACI lymph nodes were transplanted to [ACI-->WF] chimeric recipients.

RESULTS: Transplantation of vascularized ACI lymph nodes to [ACI-->WF] chimeric recipient rats resulted in severe and sometimes lethal GVHD. In contrast, neither the infusion of purified ACI LN cells nor the transplantation of nonvascularized LNs led to GVHD in chimeric recipients.

CONCLUSIONS: When introducing allogeneic cells into chimeric recipients, concomitant transplantation of the vascularized LN microenvironment makes a manifest difference between induction and absence of GVHD. This illustrates the important role of the LN microenvironment in adaptive immune responses.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entre ... d_RVDocSum
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Treatment for Lymphedema