Nordic Walking

laser workshops, physiatrists, Diaphragmatic Breathing, daflon 500, coumarin powder, nordic walking, lymphocyte injection, essential oils, massagers, ball massage, heat, Lymphomyosot, Self Massage Therapy, Elastin Ampules, Lymphobiology, leg drainage, naturopathy, ace bandages, Craniosacral Therapy, lymph node transplants, Lymphatic-venous anastomosis, vein grafting, lymph vessel transplantation, surgery scrotal lymphedema, shoes

Moderators: jenjay, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Nordic Walking

Postby patoco » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:44 pm

Nordic Walking

Lymphedema People

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com

Original post

Ever try Nordic Walking?

Hi everyone,

My computer has been on the fritz (sneaking in some internet time late at night on my roommate's computer right now), so I haven't been online much in the last month or so...

I have been meaning to post something about the latest thing I have tried for exercise: Nordic Walking. My LE therapist suggested it.

I keep thinking about silk's and some of the other people who write in this forum about having wobbly legs and I am thinking this might be something that might help. By using two walking sticks (in my case, canes) when walking, you burn 40% more calories, cause less strain on knee, hip and ankle joints and feel like you exert less energy while doing it.

Using two canes, I am able to walk with better posture and not hunched over like an elderly lady being dragged down into the earth by gravity! I am able to walk briskly with two canes whereas without them, even using one cane, I amble along quite slowly and painfully.

I've read up a bit on nordic walking and supposedly, using the walking sticks causes you to use more of your upper body walking, giving a more efficient full body work-out. Personally, I think my upper body takes off some of the pressure on my lower body by using the canes. I do not get the lower backache that I would get from walking without the use of two canes.

I find that my body is more in balance using two canes when walking than using one. I don't have to lean in hard on one cane, I can center myself in my body and use the canes more for stability, rather than as a weight-bearing mobility aid. Though they certinly come in handy to help hold my body upright when I have to stand for any length of time.

Here's a link that explains it better:

http://walking.about.com/cs/poles/a/nordicwalking.htm

One of the reasons why my LE therapist recommended this for me is because she had noticed that LE patients (leg people) tend to "shuffle" along. She highly recommends focusing on good heel to toe walking. The poles (or canes) help to achieve that goal.

coyote

Hiya Coyote,

Interesting, i have had a look at the site
need to go through it at length.

O
I like walking and if anything assists me in that them fantastic

I am having results with the football knee with the kinesio taping
infact my practioner has ordered me knee length class 3 and i will be taping the knee to groin. Just waiting for them to arrive.

the full body i feel make walking even more combersome
and i have noticed i have a spare tyre now where the garment finishes
im busy working it out .

I notice the length of the poles for this walking is precise for each person. Do you have the poles? or use normal sticks?
I also as you know live on the hills, i would love to go walking them again but there pretty tough to walk . I loved it out walking watching the sunrise I think i miss it more than dancing,

It would be wonderful to at least walk across some of the little hills at least. I am lucky that down the road from me is a resovoir
well there are three coming down the hills into a valley the bottom one is pretty flat I think i will be trying a walk round it
lol do you think ski walking would be bad for the ankles i think i am going to need them this winter. I would love to do it i might even stay upright on skis walking lol my usual position when the snow falls is on my bottom lol i have no balance on snow

hugggggggggg
keep well Julie
huggggggg
Dotty xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi silks!

I do a modified version of the nordic walking using two aluminum canes (which are just like the nordic sticks except the hand grip is shaped differently and they do not have the straps and gloves) and still find that it is very helpful to me. I know that I never would have begun to venture out and walk the trail around the river here if I weren't using the canes.

A suggestion: If you don't happen to have any walking sticks laying around (whether they are nordic, trekking or canes), you might ask your LE therapist if you can borrow a couple from the PT dept. for awhile (that's how I got started), even just for a few minutes, to get a feel for how different it is. Walk a certain distance with them and then without them and see if you feel any difference in shortness of breath, time it took and ease of doing it.

I would have thought using the full body would make walking more cumbersome, too, silks, but what it does is distribute the effort of walking throughout your body more evenly, so no one area is taking the toll. Since our legs are so wobbly, what it means to us is that our upper body does some of the work for our legs and takes some of the stress off of those hip, knee and ankle joints.

Silks, what's this football knee thing you were writing about? I am familiar with the kinesio tape (love it)...Very, very glad something is working for you.

hugz.....

coyote
patoco
Site Admin

Nordic Walking

Postby Eldon Dueck » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:52 pm

I have secondary lymphedema in my right arm. I have been nordic walking since last summer. I do notice that my upper arm is smaller and softer after my usual 45 min. walk.

As an aside, it is easier to keep a pace (almost like walking with a metronome!) so the route that I used to do in about an hour now takes 45 min.

I've also lost ten pounds since summer, and I haven't changed anything else.
Eldon Dueck

Return to Treatment for Lymphedema