Serrous drainage from leg

Welcome to all our family and friends. Patients, families, caregivers, therapists, nurses, doctors, anyone with a concern for and interest in lymphedema is most welcome!!!

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Serrous drainage from leg

Postby armywife » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:07 pm

Hi All,

Let me introduce myself since I am new to this list. I have had lymphedema for about 13 years...secondary to radical lymoh node dissection right groin for stage 3 melanoma in 1996. I woke up with lymphedema....

Couple questions:

I have had a year in that have had several lymph leaks and always clear in color...and usually due to increase in acttivity or sitting or standing too long. Yesterday, I was having leakage but mixed with blood! This concerns me somewhat. Few responses already from lymph support group and will head the warnings...need to see the doc about this...Has been 8 years since have had a cellulitis. Wrapped last night..leaks have stopped and leg feels softer and better today. No other redness or swelling.

Can any one send me names of any docs who care for pts with lymphedema...Have a great PCM...but not real knowledgeable about this. I live in Northern Va and willing to travel if need be...MD and PA and NJ OK as well.

Also, am considering having a tummy tuck this fall. I have already seen 2 plastic surgeons and discussed risks...etc etc...Tomorrow, I go to Walter Reed for my 3rd and last consult on this surgery. ANy thoughts and opinions of having this type of surgery with LLE please share!!

So glad I have found this forum...

Thanks to all!!

Army wife
armywife

Re: Serrous drainage from leg

Postby patoco » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:14 am

Hi ya Army :)

Super welcome to our family.

That is really serious, having bleeding with that drainage :!:

I agree about the possibilities of it being a possible infection - so please do go to the doctor.

What I am wondering too though, has the been any other changes, like skin color (bruises), lumps etc?

Do you recall anything that might have triggered the bleeding? Let me know.

I have a zillion of these leaks, like most lymphers and have never had one that bled like that.

Will be waiting to hear from you!!!

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby armywife » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:51 am

Good morning Pat,
Thanks for the welcome.

No skin changes...excpets when I leak I of course feel more tender to the touch no bruising or redness in surrounding area..at least for now!

This most likely precipitating by significant increase in intesity in my excecize level. I have lost 8 pounds and 12 more to go...as I am planning on having a tummy tuck done this fall sometime. Had appt at Walter Reed this am...saw the PA first...and have passed the first screening for even being a candidate to have it done there. 15 AUg I see the surgeon..So need more weight off...and have to do that my increasing work out level. Now yesterday did nothing as I felt my leg needed the rest. Today I will go and do only 45 min....

Still would love to find a doctor who his knowledgable on this topic...

Will keep you posted!

Army wife
armywife

Postby patoco » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:26 am

Hey Army :)

Whew....I'm glad to hear that there are no changes in the skin. That can be a red flag for more serious complications.

A change in the exercise regime could have triggered it.

BTW, we do have a listing of doctors:

Registry of Lymphedema Doctors

viewforum.php?f=25

You may want to check that to see which doctor you would be able to go to.

Pat 8)
patoco
Site Admin

Postby armywife » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:40 pm

Thank for for that info. I see one in NJ and 2 in Pa...so will see about going there in the future!

Armywife
armywife

Postby ma1290 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:05 pm

I had a leak last week from one of my toes and there was a tiny bit of blood on my bandages right on top of the leak. The leak has since healed but the bleeding made me a little worried about getting an infection.

Is there anything we can do to stop the leaking more quickly?
ma1290

Postby patoco » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:14 pm

Hey Adam :)

Actually, there is a way to get it to heal faster, but I don't think any of us (including myself :wink: ) would want to do it.

Since swelling makes if very difficult for the wound to heal, if we went to bed and kept the leg elevated above the heart, the wound would heal much much faster.

:D see....I told ya so :!: That just isn't practical for most of us.

I have had pretty good luck doing this.

1.) Put baby diaper ointment with zinc oxide on the wound.

2.) Put an AB pad over it. These are abdominal pads frequently used in ab surgeries.

3.) Wrap the leg in rolled gauze.

4.) Then do the short stretch bandage wrap.

If you do have a wound that bleeds, personally, I would start a course of antibiotics just to make sure. I've just had such a horrible time with infectons, I tend to jump on it rapidly.

If you ever had a cluster of papillomatosis that suddenly changes, bleeds, turns purplish or all of a sudden has a darkish/purplis crust on it then you need to get to a doc asap.

Pat :mrgreen:
patoco
Site Admin

Postby ma1290 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:10 am

ok thanks I will pick that stuff up next time I'm out. What would the papillomas with the dark purplish crust be a symptom of?
ma1290

Postby patoco » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:33 pm

Hey Adam :)

There is a rare, but documented type of cancer that comes along with long stand lymphedema. It is called lymphagiosarcoma.

It is a very agressive type of soft tissue cancer with an almost toally fatal prognosis. As I daid it is quite rare, but lymphers do need to be aware of it.

Some of the warning signs include this unusual purplis discoloration and bleeding. It can even initially showup as a bruise. We had one member recently who had a bruise that wouldn't go away. When it was biopsied, it came back positive.

Lymphangiosarcoma

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/thesite ... arcoma.htm

also called Stewart Treves Syndrome

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/thesite ... ndrome.htm

Pat 8)
patoco
Site Admin

Postby ma1290 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:12 am

Well I have had crusty areas on papillomas before so I am not sure how I would know the difference. In fact, I have an area on my ankle that has been developing papillomas in the past 4-6 months and there is a small portion of it that has crusted over. When I was first getting them there, it started out as a crust before turning into papillomas. I had a physical with my primary care physician (who diagnosed me with LE on the day I was born) about a month ago and he said it looked very "superficial" like it was on top of the skin. He didn't think it was anything to worry about. I have an appointment at the mayo clinic in three days (wednesday) so they can evaluate my leg as a whole, I haven't been there in ten years. I'll be sure to bring it up. They have three doctors that specialize in lymphedema and rehabilitation.
ma1290

Postby patoco » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:13 am

Good Morning Adam :)

Most of the time, those areas are superficial and nothing to worry about. Mine were like that for the last twenty years.

It's when they have a sudden change with that purplish discoloration, spontaneous bleeding. If it was a malignancy and was crusty, the crust would have a purplish-blackish coloration.

So, while I would keep an eye on them, it isn't something you probably need to worry about. Just keep faithful in you self managment. They'll probably tell you the same thing at the Mayo when you see them.

Have a great visit there too, let us know how it goes and what you think :!: :!:

The best to you

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Welcome Family