Long-Term Lymphedema

leg pain, leg bleeding, Farrow Wraps, Compression Stockings, cold feet, Reid Sleeve, Restless Leg Syndrome, Leg Cramps, Compression Pumps, Shoes, lower limb lymphedema, secondary leg lymphedema, leg wrapping, Cold Feet, Compression socks, nerve pain, self leg massage, right leg lymphedema

Moderators: Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Long-Term Lymphedema

Postby ma1290 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:35 pm

I haven't been able to find any information on people who have been living with LE for 60 or 70 years. I'm hoping to stay active as I get older and am wondering what's likely gonna happen to me.

I competed in a local triathlon last month and some of the people competing alongside me were 50 or 60 years old. Ideally, I'd like to be one of those people when I'm older: 50 or 60 years old and in great shape. However, I'm not sure if my leg will be in good enough condition to engage in that sort of activity when I near that age.

What kinds of complications do people with LE generally run into as they get older? Is the life span of someone with lymphedema ever cut short due to complications from LE? What can I expect?
ma1290

Postby patoco » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:57 pm

Hey Adam

Well....I've had lymphedema now for 54 yrs...LOL..no quite 60 or 70. :roll:

A lot will depend on the treatment you receive and how you are able to manage lymphedema and avoid some of the complications.

Because I was born with it in 1952, MLD/CDT, compression bandages etc were unknown in this country. As a result, I did not receive proper care (by today's standards) and was infact a guinea pig for some treatments.

As a result I have terrible complications including a couple types of lymphomas.

One reason I sound like a broken record about getting proper treatment that is available today is so that lymphers can avoid some of the complications I experience.

Here is a page on complications of long term lymphedema, especially to improperly treated LE.

BTW, my grandmother had LE...lived to be 80 - and it wasn't LE that finally took her.

LYMPHEDEMA COMPLICATIONS

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/thesite ... ations.htm

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Leg Lymphedema