New Diagnosis!!! Renal Cell Carcinoma

Cutaneous B-Cell Lymphoma and Lymphedema, Cutaneous T-cell lymphoma and Lymphedema, Hodgkins Lymphoma, Kidney and Renal Cancer, Cervical Cancer, Renal Cell Carcinoma, Breast Cancer, Ovarian Cancer, Testicular, arm swelling, Skin Cancer, angiosarcoma, kaposi's sarcoma, gallium scan, axillary node dissection, gynecological cancer, axillary reverse mapping, lymphatic cancers, inguinal node dissection, cancer treatment, Complete decongestive therapy for arm lymphedema, lymphedema therapy, intensive decongestive physiotherapy, breast cancer related lymphedema, upper limb lymphedema

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

New Diagnosis!!! Renal Cell Carcinoma

Postby donsuzbee » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:01 pm

Being a 2X breast cancer survivor, I have now been diagnosed with Renal cell carcinoma and will have a right radical nephrectomy/lymphnadectomy on 7/27/07. I already have soooo much ld from the bc in my upper right quadrant. Any idea what I can expect from having more lymph glands removed.

When my husband saw the paperwork for the consent to surgery, he ask me if I thought I could spare anymore lymph glands!!!!!

Susan B. :roll:
donsuzbee

Postby patoco » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:13 pm

Oh Susan, this must be devestating, especially after having survived bc and le both.

I am very concerned about the possibilities of lymph node removal as this will dramatically raise the possibilities of abdominal and/or leg lymphedema.

One thing I would do is to push them to do all the scans available first. If there is a need for a node biopsy, ask them about the possibilities of using a small needle, ultrasound guided biopsy.

I had this done on a inguinal node in 2000 and it was sufficient for a diagnosis (ugh, my second type of lymphoma). I have had no difficulty from the node and it seems to have had zero effect on my leg LE.

Do they have any idea of the extent of the cancer? Do you have any enlarged nodes that they are looking at?

My heart goes out to you and you are certainly surounded by prayer. :!: :!:

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

My surgery

Postby donsuzbee » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:06 pm

I had the surgery on 7/25/07. Is the cure always worse than the disease? I felt that way at first, but now am really on my way to recovery. The renal cell carcinoma was very small and a slow growing type. As the surgeon said, I am "cured."

In February I noticed some swelling in my abdomen more on the right side where all my LD is. I had not gained any weight at that time, but over the spring and up to my surgery, I swelled more and gained a lot of weight very rapidly. Perhaps it was just because I ate more - I tried not to. The doctors did not address the issue as the renal cell carcinoma was the primary focus of everyone and then my recover.

But I am wondering about LD in the abdomen. After the kidney tumor was discovered in May I thought perhaps the swelling was side effects from that. I have been "laying around" a lot in the last 8 weeks, but have started a walking program and excersing little by little.

Any info on abdomen LD would be greatly appreciated.

God bless!
donsuzbee

Postby patoco » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:12 pm

Hey Susan

Sorry I haven't responded sooner...been packing, moving and unpacking...about to fall out :cry:

How is the abdominal swelling now? Has it subsided any?

With my lymphoma, I have had a serious problem with this. Infact, last year, it was the abdominal swelling in conjunctino with both lungs being filled with fluid that put me in the hospital for two months.

I suspect that the weight gain you experienced is more from LE then over eating.

There seemed to be a cycle that went along with my abdominal LE.

As the ab swelled more, the lymphatics in the lower ab became dilated, which of course meant they functioned even less then normal.

Then, also because they were dilated, it caused me to not absorb protein.
The loss of protein caused even more swelling....the cycle.

I start every day doing lymph node stimulation and include abdominal self MLD.

I still measure my protein intake everyday to make sure I get what is needed.

Breathing exercises seem to help too.

Susan, with me too, it is the b-cell lymphoma that has dmaged the lymph system. The main blockage seems to be the brachial nodes and/or the thoracic duct region.

As a result, I also have to take diuretics daily. Just what a lympher wants to do right? :cry: But, to try and keep the fluid moving, I kinda have no choice.

Try the self massage, breathing exercise and lymph node stimulation.

There are ab compression garments that can help in your situation too.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Dr. Paula Stewart

Postby donsuzbee » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:21 pm

Pat,
Does Dr. Stewart ever come to the Atlanta area or is she only in Birmingham?
God bless!
Susan B.
donsuzbee

Postby patoco » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:18 pm

Hey Susan

She only practices in Birmingham. But , she will be at the conference at the Waverly from Oct 5 - 7th.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Cure VS Disease

Postby donsuzbee » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:16 pm

Turns out my remaining kidney does not function as well as it should so I am now Chronic Kidney Disease Stage 4. I do have LD further down my back. I now the watershed mark is the waist line, but I can see the swelling lower just like the top. I have learned to be ok with it. Turns out the stomach swelling is something going on with my liver - not LD. I have an MRI Monday to see what that is. My arm stays very big and I do what I can but I have learned to live with most of it. I am just so glad that when the LD first all started I was sent to Alpharetta campus of Northside. Their PT's are awesome. I have learned so much from the ones that have been there. Also talked with Janie Wright at main campus who was very encouraging.

I pray you are doing ok, Pat!
God bless!
Susan B.
donsuzbee

Postby patoco » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:26 pm

Hey Susan :)

Glad to hear from you :!: :!:

I know several of the therapists at Alpharetta Northside and I agree - have heard many good things about them.

Is the cancer now in remission? How are they going to treat all this new swelling?

They have suggested I have a thing called a Pleurex Pleural Catheter put in for the lung and abdominal fluids. It is a tube that goes in one side, through the lung cavity, through the abdomen and comes out the other side.

Then the patient :roll: can attach a drainage bottle periodically to keep the fluids down. Sooooooooooo not wanting to do this as I am extremely concerned about the possibility of infections.

Yet, the fluid continues to collect despite everything. had 2 1/2 quarts of fluid removed from my left lung this past week - then it promptly collapsed enough that I had to be admitted into the hospital. Still. not sure what I am going to do.

Please have them keep check on the fluid collection. Initially, abdominal fluid isn't something that you notice much - then suddenly, it becomes a major issue and is miserable.

If you want, send me a private email and we can exchange phone numbers - at least keep each other chuckling as much as possible.

Take care and just know you remain in my prayers and thoughts.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Lymphedema and Cancer Information