Has anyone used Coban?

laser workshops, physiatrists, Diaphragmatic Breathing, daflon 500, coumarin powder, nordic walking, lymphocyte injection, essential oils, massagers, ball massage, heat, Lymphomyosot, Self Massage Therapy, Elastin Ampules, Lymphobiology, leg drainage, naturopathy, ace bandages, Craniosacral Therapy, lymph node transplants, Lymphatic-venous anastomosis, vein grafting, lymph vessel transplantation, surgery scrotal lymphedema, shoes

Moderators: jenjay, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Has anyone used Coban?

Postby brendaluvsgarth » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:54 pm

My husband has a very oddly shaped thigh that is weeping and I was wondering if perhaps I could use Coban for compression. Any opinion?
brendaluvsgarth

Re: Has anyone used Coban?

Postby LymphedemaGirl » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:35 am

At the hospital where I used to get "treatment" they used Coban 2 on me. I was not impressed. I suppose it could have been allright if they hadn't wrapped me in it for six weeks non stop, no MLD, only pump, but I am not sure you would be able to do it yourself. Also, the layers sort of melt together, so I am not sure it would be liquidproof. It is sticky and smelly too.
Recently I learnt that Coban is used in hospitals here in order to get patients out as cheap and quickly as possible. I much prefer short stretch bandages.
LymphedemaGirl

Postby patoco » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:33 am

Hey Lymph Girl

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. I hope some more members will comment too. I'm quite interested in hearing how Coban is too.

I'm not able to do the best job at leg wrapping anymore, so I have been searching for better alternatives.

This lung fluid problem is a hassle when trying to use compression garments. Not long ago, I tried some Solaris Readywraps."

They were great at helping keep the leg fluid down, but because of the lung fluid issue, I had to give up trying to wear them. After only one day, I could hardly breathe.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby brendaluvsgarth » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:46 pm

Pat, You really do struggle dont you? I am so sorry for that. I hope and pray you can find an effective treatment to end your suffering. Maybe 2012 will be your year :D
brendaluvsgarth

Postby Atlantamary » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:25 pm

Pat,

I noticed that you said you'd tried Readywraps. I'm about to get a pair in a month or so. Are they fairly easy to put on? Where you able to wear them at night by loosening them a bit? Also, why did they cause you fluid problems in your stomach? How would they be different from compression wraps?

Thanks for the help!
Atlantamary

Postby patoco » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:35 am

Hey Mary

Sorry, I didn't see your post until now.

They are actually fairly easy to put on - if you can bend. One problem I have is being able to bend over because of the abdominal lymphedema and the problem it causes with my breathing.

Ironically, I tried them because I too am not happy with my own leg wrapping ability anymore.

I did wear them at night and actually that went ok - no problems from it.

They caused fluid problem in the ab because they are so good at moving fluid. But, because of the abdominal LE, any fluid going into the ab is going to have a massive problem be taken out due to the malfunction lymphatics of my chest and ab.

If you don't have a bad problem with abdominal LE, I would certainly recommend trying them.

As for being different then compression wraps, I found they actually did a better job of keeping the leg swelling down.

I'll be honest with you Mary....I wish I could have tolerated wearing them and highly recommend them to those with no abdominal LE.

LOL...its early morning...does that all make sense? Need more coffee :D :lol:

Pat
Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby Atlantamary » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:28 am

Thanks so much Pat. This sounds encouraging. My LE treatment situation is going to be changing, so I'm looking for all the help I can get.

Mary
Atlantamary

Postby Wendy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:58 pm

I have had success with Coban2 but I have no leaking issues. I was wrapped toe to groin from May 1 to July 10th. During the wrapping my legs reduced significantly and I am now in stocking during the day and in a compression garment called Juxta-Fit for overnight. For the first time in 7 years I am able to wear shoes again and my legs are comfortable during the day in the stocking and only slightly more uncomfortable at night in the Juxta-Fit. While it might not work for everyone I had two very dedicated therapists who wrapped and monitored me during the entire procedure. They also worked tirelessly to get my skin healthy before I was able to go into stockings, They are hopeful with continued weight loss and keeping my skin healthy, along with exercise I will be able to get out of the Juxta-Fit for overnights and into something less compressing and more comfortable.
The key I feel to my success was the 2 therapists I had managing my treatment. They are constantly taking new classes to upgrade their knowledge and are devoted to making sure that you are a success story.
I hope you find something that will help you. It is an ongoing, uphill, painful and often depressing and frustrating battle but it sure beat the alternative.
Wendy

Return to Treatment for Lymphedema