Infections - Why do they hit so fast & hard?

leg pain, leg bleeding, Farrow Wraps, Compression Stockings, cold feet, Reid Sleeve, Restless Leg Syndrome, Leg Cramps, Compression Pumps, Shoes, lower limb lymphedema, secondary leg lymphedema, leg wrapping, Cold Feet, Compression socks, nerve pain, self leg massage, right leg lymphedema

Moderators: Birdwatcher, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

Infections - Why do they hit so fast & hard?

Postby wubywoo » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:36 am

Jan. 2, I went to bed feeling fine. Had been surfing on the internet had no sign or clue of fever or infection. I had been fighting a uti for a couple of months, but was on antibiotics for it. About an hour after being in bed I got cold, then the chills and then I threw up a couple of times. I don't remember anything else after that. I woke up in the hospital in ICU with group C strep, acute renal failure, infection due to ecoli, acute urinary tract infection, acute metabolic encephalopathy, severe sepsis etc. Tring to convince the doctors that I had no symptoms or signs besides the uti is futile. Anyhow all of that has caused my leg to become inflamed and swollen so now I have cellulitis on top of that. Is there no way to tell the difference? I kind of thought I had the flue (it was going around work for the last 2 weeks)

Oh well just needed to vent a little. :roll:
wubywoo

Re: Infections - Why do they hit so fast & hard?

Postby patoco » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:20 am

Super question and one that many of us have had.

Most of us with lymphedema have also had the same experience. I have gotten uop feeling great at 5:00am and with two hous am in the ER, flat on my back with a raging infection.

It depends on several factors

(1) your over all health at the time

(2) the causative medium - whether the infection is bacterial or fungal - and what specific bacteria or fungus

(3) the condition of your lymphedema and the stage it is in.

These doctors, if they understood infections at all should understand that.

They also need to understand that

(1) a lymphedemtous limb is immunocomromised because of the impairement of the lymhpatic system and its inability to fight inections like it normally would.

(2) the fluid in the limb is full of rich protein that is a perfect medium for bacterial growth. That bacteris is literally a buffet for the bacteria.

(3) because of the tissue of that limb - the extent of the fibrosis involved, it can be especially difficult for antibiotics to hit the site of the infection.

I recommend to everyone that they have an Infectious Disease doctor. My is great and has kept me from getting those raging types of infection.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby joanne johnson » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:36 pm

I must agree with Pat that having an infectious disease doctor can be very helpful. I suffered from serious cellulitis infections for years with many hospitalizations. I found an excellent infectious disease doctor who was able to control my infections in one visit. My quality of life has improved tremendously. Now I am always prepared with more than just antibiotics when I feel an infection coming on. Now I am in control, not the cellulitis.
joanne johnson

Postby wubywoo » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:22 pm

I have an infectious disease doctor and he always asks why don't you come in when you start feeling bad. Well, I wasn't feeling bad. No overswelling in my limbs, just the normal stuff, no open wounds, no seepage. It just hit out of the blue. But now, I have fluid in my abdomen which is quite worrisome. I have a pocket of fluid on the right side of my abdomen- to the right and just below the belly button area. You can press in and leave indentations and it has a different texture to the skin. It's also bruised and looks like I took some hard blows to the belly. I know most of the bruising is probably from trying to turn over and get comfortable while in ICU and the hospital. Also, blood pressure is out of control now. Whatever caused this really left some damage. Supposed to go back to work next week, but might have to put it off a bit longer to see what other damage may have occurred.
Thanks for your responses. It does help to know that you're not the only one dealing with these issues.
wubywoo

Return to Leg Lymphedema