Shoes

leg pain, leg bleeding, Farrow Wraps, Compression Stockings, cold feet, Reid Sleeve, Restless Leg Syndrome, Leg Cramps, Compression Pumps, Shoes, lower limb lymphedema, secondary leg lymphedema, leg wrapping, Cold Feet, Compression socks, nerve pain, self leg massage, right leg lymphedema

Moderators: Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Shoes

Postby boola » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:39 am

Hello,

I am relatively new, or, well rather returning. I think I posted a couple of times on the old board, but I just re - signed up for the new one.

As I posted on another area here, my old doc retired and the new one I got doesn't seem to "believe in" lymphedema. She told me I didn't have it because both of my legs are swollen. She spent most of the first (and only) appointment I had with her trying to convince me to get bariatric surgery because she feels that I am just fat.

At any rate, while I am trying to find a different doc, I have a rather immediate problem. The swelling in my legs (both) has been getting steadily worse and it is very nearly at the point where I cannot wear shoes any more. I sleep in my shoes to try to keep the swelling down enough so I can still get them on, but even with doing that, I can barely get them on any more, and even my toes are swollen and pinched and uncomfortable in my big tennis shoes.

Until I find a doc who will allow me to get tx what can I do about shoes? I need to be able to wear shoes in order to be able to work, and I need to be able to work in order to keep my health insurance and have any hope at all of being able to afford treatment, and also, of course, in order to avoid homelessness, etc.
boola

Re: Shoes

Postby patoco » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:38 am

Hey Boola :)

I was kinda hoping some of the ladies would answer with where they get their shoes :(

What I do is buy the shoe according to the size of the most swollen foot, with me it is generally the left.

I'm not sure what type of shoes you are allowed to wear at work, but what you may want to do is try and wear shoes that are (for example) made for people who are on their feet a lot.

Usually, these shoes give you the "under" foot support and give you support over the entire foot. This is important too because of the extra weight of the leg and the strain put on the feet.

Now I'm a guy, but I wear these shoes from Dr. Scholls. They look very much like Hush Puppies are are sold at WalMart. They last forever and the price is super when compared to comperable shoes.

Whatever you do, stay away from heels, stay away from heels, stilettos - shoes of that nature. Their are hard on feet anyway. Also, stay away from shoes that are pointed or that constrict your feet that way.

I will try and find out where you can get shoes, but it may take a few days.

Pat 8)
patoco
Site Admin

Postby patoco » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:01 am

Hi Ya Boola :)

OK...got some places other lady lymphers have gotten shoes.

(1) I've used shoes from Hotter, which are very comfortable to wear, with
adjustable/velcro straps and wide fittings. www.hottershoes.com.

(2) Pat-
I get mine through Footsmart.com - lots of different solutions for lots of
different foot problems. I look for things that stretch and are low at the
ankle, of course. They have over-the-counter compression products too.
I was even able to find my cousin a pair of dress shoes and she is hard to fit -
she has women's size 12 feet! Hope that helps!

As I get more places, I'll let you know.

Pat 8)
patoco
Site Admin

Postby boola » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:02 pm

Thanks!
boola

Postby joanne johnson » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:06 am

Hello,

I am sorry that I missed your original request for info on buying shoes. I also have very swollen feet which are hard to find shoes that fit. I live in N.Y. I always give the same advice which is to look in the yellow pages of your phone book for shoe stores that advertise that they sell shoes in hard to fit sizes, such as extra wide.

The shoes may not be too feminine and they will be more expensive but they will be comfortable. Good luck!
joanne johnson

Postby ellita » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:16 pm

My all time favorite shoes brand is "Oxygen" and it could be found at www.ebay.co.uk

Just search for "Oxygen shoes"
ellita

Postby lacemaker » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:30 am

i wear Crocs. they are nice and soft but wide enough for my swollen foot (I have one with lymphodema and one without).they even make golf crocs now which is great for me
lacemaker

Postby Wokkel » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:38 pm

Hi,

I've got one pair of shoes/slippers with just straps,all straps are adjustable, i got them when was wearing bandages around my feet/lower legs and i couldnt wear shoes. the straps made my feet get very swollen in between the straps, but at least i was waering some kind of shoe.

i dont fit into crocs or more or less any other shoe unless i buy them way too big in length. i got a pair of shoes which is a special width size, they were expensive but theyre very comftable and very good quality. i got them at a shop where they also had a clinic where they help people with walk problems or foot problems. perhaps you could look for a shop like that in your area

Take care
Marieke
Wokkel

Postby xshlynne » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:46 am

Has anyone tried making their own shoes? I love shoes, adore them and have a closet full of shoes I can't wear. I've been looking through them to see ifthere are any I can take to a cobbler and have adjusted with elastic or ties. Then I started wondering if I could make my own. Anyone tried this?
xshlynne

Postby brayantkent » Thu May 27, 2010 11:11 am

If only one leg is affected by lymphedema, you may find it necessary to buy two different shoe sizes. By searching the Internet for Odd Size Shoes you can find special services, such as National Odd Shoe Exchange, Wide Shoes, and Birkenstock Express. They are all specialized in accommodating the need to purchase shoes in each different size.
brayantkent

Postby Queenie EJC » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:37 am

Since MLD treatment, my left foot requires a wide shoe and my right regular width. Prior to the treatment, I wore double wide shoes. What I've found helpful, as Pat said earlier, is to buy shoes to fit the larger foot. I also look for sandals with the hook and loop closures for adjustability; otherwise, the narrower of the feet sometimes "swims" in the wide shoe. One brand that has helped time and again is Propet. This was first introduced to me at a specialty foot store, but this brand is sold elsewhere as well. Hope this helps.
Queenie EJC

Postby blubrdfrend » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:59 am

I order my shoes from Zappo's. They carry 4E width. I buy one pair of shoes, fitting the LE foot. I stuff the other shoe with innersoles or wear extra socks. http://www.zappos.com/
blubrdfrend

Postby Queenie EJC » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:15 am

I forgot to mention previously that, when I was new to lymphedema, I wore extra depth shoes which allowed for excessive swelling. I wore the lace-up or velcro-fastened styles. Since then, I've explored other options, including the Propet sandals I mentioned and Crocs. Be careful with the Crocs though - I know of a few people who had falls with them.
Queenie EJC

Postby blubrdfrend » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:14 pm

Queenie, where do you find Propets? Zappo's once carried a leather lace-up that I really like. I have one pair that I save for dress. They are beginning to wear. Zappos no longer carry them. They have been replaced with soft tops and tennis shoes. Only two of the styles fit me. My swollen toes wear out the soft tops but the tennis shoes are great. I wear them to church when I can't get my leather shoes on. Gee, I sound like I am whining! Actually I am lying back in my chair with my leg in the air, shelling peas on my chest. (no photo provided).
blubrdfrend

Postby harley » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:30 pm

i also have a swollen foot. one thing that is interesting is that nordstrom will sell you different size shoes. it is on their website listed as single shoe service. it is worth a try. i have not tried it because i am still wearing extra wide sneakers. hope this helps
harley

Return to Leg Lymphedema