Treatment question

laser workshops, physiatrists, Diaphragmatic Breathing, daflon 500, coumarin powder, nordic walking, lymphocyte injection, essential oils, massagers, ball massage, heat, Lymphomyosot, Self Massage Therapy, Elastin Ampules, Lymphobiology, leg drainage, naturopathy, ace bandages, Craniosacral Therapy, lymph node transplants, Lymphatic-venous anastomosis, vein grafting, lymph vessel transplantation, surgery scrotal lymphedema, shoes

Moderators: jenjay, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Treatment question

Postby JacquieC » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:37 am

Well, I FINALLY started treatment yesterday after what seems like being put through the ringer getting medical clearances, ordering bandages etc...

So heres my question....my LE therapist has started my treatment with bandaging first ( I have LE in both legs) and then we will move on to the massage, she said she does the opposite in the begining for people who have LE in the neck or face, she starts with massage first.
Does this sound right?
How did everyone deal with the stares from people, Fri thru Sun I am always out running errands etc and I'm not going to let this stop me but geez oh man I know people are gonna stare...oyyy veyyyy

Thanks
JacquieC
JacquieC

Postby patoco » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:19 pm

Hi Ya Jacquie :)

There is a variance in the way many therapists begin treatment and I have found that either way - massage first - or bandaging first will work, if done correctly.

The ways of treatment and the actual treatment program will depend upon the individual and their personal situation/medical history.

This therapist may well start with massage first for face, head and neck lymphedema because of the fact these are critical areas involving the ability to breathe, get proper nutrition etc, so the removal of fluid in these areas is critical.

As for the stares...I take the approach of dead-eyeing people. LOL...amazing how it makes them look away when you look right through them. :wink:

I really got a kick out of another member. She use to carry one of these disposable cameras and would actually hand it to them telling them to "take a picture" :D :roll:

I'm excited for you as you begin your treatment....dooooooo let us know how it goes and how it is helping :!: :!: :!:

:mrgreen: Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Treatment for Lymphedema