A question about

laser workshops, physiatrists, Diaphragmatic Breathing, daflon 500, coumarin powder, nordic walking, lymphocyte injection, essential oils, massagers, ball massage, heat, Lymphomyosot, Self Massage Therapy, Elastin Ampules, Lymphobiology, leg drainage, naturopathy, ace bandages, Craniosacral Therapy, lymph node transplants, Lymphatic-venous anastomosis, vein grafting, lymph vessel transplantation, surgery scrotal lymphedema, shoes

Moderators: jenjay, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

A question about

Postby ma1290 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:38 pm

I was reading about the Swedish doctor who used liposuction to remove swelling on a number of persons with arm lymphedema. I am confused. A few of the sites I was looking at said that he intended to remove adipose tissue in people with stage II or III arm lymphedema. A google search told me that adipose tissue is fatty tissue. Is this "adipose tissue" the same as fibrotic tissue, or are they two different things?

I was looking at this site:
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:dwOWrcrxzG0J:www.lymphoedema.org/bls/pdf_docs/brorson.pdf+liposuction+hakan+brorson&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us
ma1290

Postby patoco » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:15 pm

Good question :D

What the Finnish doctors found was that liposuction worked well in a very small band of arm lymphedema patients. These are patients with long standing lymphedema and very fibrotic arms 9post-mastectomy).

Others did not achieve the same results and maybe even contraindicated in their situation.

Adipose tissue is fatty tissue. The sub cutaneous layer that the lymph channels/vessels/ etc run through is basically composed of this tissue. When the fluid fills the interstitial areas, the texture changes and the tissue then becomes what we refer to as fibrotic.

Take a look at our page on liposuction (newly revised) :wink:

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/wiki/do ... iposuction

Besides the info, there are links to other sites, complete explanation of the types of liposuction and even info on lymphedema that was caused BY liposuction.

Incidentally, we just had a new member of one of our groups that also had lymphedema caused by liposuction.

Hope this helps :!: :!:

Pat 8)
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Treatment for Lymphedema