Those Bacterial Infections

delayed breast cellulitis, recurrent cellulitis, recurrent erysipelas, soft tissue infections, Dermatolymphangioadenitis (DLA), Flesh Eating Bacteria, Bacterial Infections, Strep Infections, bacterial cellulitis, prophylactic antibiotics

Moderators: jenjay, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Postby patoco » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:24 pm

Discussion started by Marigold

07/07/2005

I wonder how often and when you all get bacterial infections, and what you do for them.

When mine began less than three years ago (20 yrs after my surgery which led to this!), I thought I was coming down with flu over and over. For awhile I had an attack every few weeks. Two years ago I read on the NLN website that these were bacterial infections due to the lymphedema. In my case, the attacks are not linked to infection via injury. Instead, they come like clockwork, an attack every two months: August, October, December, February, April, and June.

Coyote wrote in another discussion, "As long as our bodies continue to produce a pint of lymph fluid a day and our lymph system continues to be overwhelmed by toxins and lymph fluid, anything we do to manage the condition will only be a temporary fix, unfortunately." This describes precisely what I see happening in my body. After two months, my body evidently says, "I give up, the bacteria win," and I take to my bed with aches and chills.

The February attack produced a great increase in swelling. For the first time, I was really frightened about the amount of swelling. Fortunately, I had already been referred to a clinic for treatment. (One amusing result has been that my therapist can take credit for a very dramatic change in my leg size, since I first saw him just after the Feb. attack, and my leg was huge. Whereas, if he had to compare my present leg size with my leg size of January or October, the change would not be nearly so impressive. )

I had hoped that the improved lymph circulation due to MLD and wrapping would mean no more attacks, but I had a light attack in April and a stronger one on June 27th. I work, and I hate having to use one sick day every two months on account of these attacks (not to mention that I hate being sick . When I think I am coming down with an infection, I take ALL the infection-fighters on my shelf: Vitamin C--every hour--, CO-Q10, olive leaf, and also oregano oil capsules. I take the latter with food, as they are rather strong, and I only take one a day. Wellness Formula also seems to be a good product, but I have to be careful as it can make me throw up.

Three times in the past I have obtained an antibiotic from a doctor, and that is probably what I should always do. However, when I am sick, I am too sick to go pick up a prescription (I live alone). After one day, I return to work, etc., but feel a bit rocky for a few days. I can't tell any difference with taking the antibiotic for a week and not taking it.

Do you always use antibiotics for bacterial infections? Which one?

Responses

Pat

Hi Ya Marigold

LOL....bacterial infections? Beginning to think my middle name is bacteria. Mine is complicated to by the lymphomas and the disasterous state of my immune system.

During the last four years, I have spent as much as four months in a row on IV antibiotics at a time. Last year, lymphedema also spread to my left arm, so they had to put a chest port in. Currently, I'm finishing my second week on IV with another to come.

One rule of thumb I always recommend is to talk with your doctor about keeping on hand an emergency bottle of antibiotics. That way, upon the first signs you can start treatment. Considering how long it takes to actually see a doctor and/or be seen by one in an ER room, the infection has ample time to spread dramatically.

The best oral antibiotics are Augmentin, Keflex and Cipro.

For IV antibiotics, I have used Invanz, Unasyn and Gentimycin.

If you do have an infection, you really should take more then just one day. I know this is hard when you work, but several days off with those legs up really can make a difference.

The MLD will help as will the decrease in swelling, but we still have to be vigilant as bacterial infections just seem to be an ever present danger for us.

Pat

Coyote

Hi Marigold,

I would think that you should be on a continual dose of antibiotic when you are having that many infections!!!

I want to note about what I wrote, which you quoted, that I was speaking to our daily management of fluid, whether it is through MLD or bike riding, swimming or stretching...whatever. We need to consciously do something each day as long as we have a body that doesn't handle it all on its own.

I empathize so much with your plight, Marigold!!!! I understand how depressing being chronically flu-like sick can be, believe me! My last three years has been like I've had one great big flu bug, it seems! The pattern runs with my menstrual cycle, so for me, it's monthly. I am on a prophylactic dose of antibiotics now because we discovered that I had infection going on even when I showed no tangible signs of infection. It was always there in the background.

One way I deal with the infections, indirectly, is to work on the fibrotic tissue in my body. Cellulitis hides out in the tunnels that weave through the fibrotic tissue. As the fibrotic tissue breaks up, as my body heals, cellulitis pops up. It's like peeling an onion, it comes in layers. The hope I have is that if I stimulate blood flow in these areas and melt away the fibrotic tissue, I will eliminate the tunnels that the cellulitis hangs out in. Tribute or jovi pak garments or "spots" work best on melting away the fibrotic tissue.

In addition to vitamin C, I would suggest you take a look at magnesium supplementation. It helps the circulation...and lymph flow. My doctor attributes the dramatic changes in my LE in the last month to the magnesium in the intravenous vitamins and minerals he's been giving me. I think it's the high doses of vitamin C and B-12 that is causing my leg wound to heal at a fast rate...a wound that was non-healing for years. So, vitamins can certainly play a key role in our health!!!

coyote
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Lymphedema Infections, Cellulitis, lymphangitis