A question about leaking fluid

swollen back, rash, Lymph node fibrosclerosis, Immunodificient Limb, DVT, venous insufficiency, inflammation, inflammatory response, bone fractures

Moderators: Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, jenjay, tkincheloe, Senior Moderators

A question about leaking fluid

Postby Wokkel » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:43 am

Hello everyone,

I've got something odd going on. Last night when i got home from work my stocking and sock were half wet. I found it odd, but thought i must have had a really sweaty foot. Later in the evening i was wearing different socks and the left one got wet again, i thought i must have stood in something wet so i dried my foot and then i saw a drop appear on top of a tiny hole in my skin on my ankle. I wiped it off and another drop formed again right away. It must have been leaking all day. The fluid seems very clear, not sticky and not smelly, and it doesnt dry up in a crusty way. I wonder if it is lymph fluid because i thought thats inside the tissues. But my ankle was very swollen after working three days in a row and now i wonder what it was. I'm going to the dr in a hour (general practitioner) i havent been to this one before with a complaint about my lymphedema, so i'm very curious if he knows anything about it (my past two dr's didnt). I'll post on here what he has said. If anyone has had this problem too i'd like to know what their findings are. This morning it only came out of i pushed next to the hole and it seems to have stopped coming out by itself but ill still see the dr. The tiny hole doesnt look red or infected.

Taker care

Marieke
Wokkel

Re: A question about leaking fluid

Postby Wokkel » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:36 am

Hello everyone,

I've been to the doctor. He said he never heard of milroy's disease but he was fomiliar with lymphedema. He said it was lymph fluid that was coming out, and recommended me to get new support stockings (mine are one and a half year old) and to go to mld to get it all flowing up again instead of leaking out. Other than that i don't need to do anything and it should stop in time. It started leaking again after my shower this morning, but not as much as last night. I'm glad i don't need to be too worried. I'll just keep it clean.

Take care

Marieke
Wokkel

Re: A question about leaking fluid

Postby patoco » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:37 am

Hi There Maarieka :D

Gotta say that in many respects I do disagree with the docs on this.

The two main problems with leakages are (1) open areas that increase the possibility of infection and (2) the lymph fluid that comes out is very highly corrosive the the skin around it. If it continues to drain and starts getting onto that skin, you will find yourself with a much larger and more complicated wound.

Try using baby's diaper ointment with zinc on the spot itself. Then cover it - many use Pampers, sanity pads (yes and they say it works great) or like I use medical AB (Abdominal) surgical pads. After this wrap that portion of the leg using the short stretch bandages.

This usually works great in closing up the minor leakage wounds.

Good to hear from you!!!!

Take care too :!: :!:

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Complications of Lymphedema