using crutches and lymphedema

Lymph Node Infarction, Diabetes, Prader Willi Syndrome, Buerger's Disease, Clark's Syndrome, Axillary Web Syndrome, Post Thrombotic Syndrome, Sed Rate, Chronic Myofascial Pain, Kawasaki Disease, Duncan's Syndrome, pulmonary edema, thoracentesis, pleurodesis, lung fluid, Lymphangioleiomyomatosis (LAM), Restless Leg Syndrome, Inflammation, Lipomas, Crohn's Disease, Panniculitis, Hidradenitis Suppurativa, Phelan-McDermid Syndrome - 22q13 deletion, lymphoproliferative disorders, blood tests. amniotic band syndrome, nerve damage, hives, leg edema, omphalocele, Podoconiosis

Moderators: Birdwatcher, jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

using crutches and lymphedema

Postby carol » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:26 pm

Hi Everyone,
I moved over a month ago and the arthritis in my feet flared up and i am having a hard time with the pain and walking.
I know if i could get of my feet (using crutches) my feet would get better faster. However i think i heard that using crutches caused le in the breast area.
I was going to go on crutches but i am scared to get tuncal le or make my arm worse.Le hugs Carol
carol

Postby silkie » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:50 am

Hi Carol

They are hard to get used to but really help once we do

I still amazed to see people using sticks wrongly

have you been shown how to use them?

the weight if used correctly sould not be under the arms but on the little cross bars

and i was taught make a traingle with the feet and the sticks

try extra padding on the pads

I have one stick and i was having pain to because i was favouring my right side putting all the pressure on there to alleviate the prressure on my bad side the left

I should have been supprting my weak side with the stick walking in time with my left side instead i was leaning on it

once i learnt to move the stick with my bad foot as a balance and support
rather than keeping the stick still and leaning on it to move the left one
I found myself in less pain and more mobile with less effort

I know crutches are a different technique but assisting movement and not leaning on them does help so much

if your still having problems then maybe a form of padding will help

huggggggggggg

Silksxxxxxxxxxxx
silkie

Postby Lynora » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:02 am

Instead of the full-body crutches, why not try the half crutches, that support you from the forearm - like the ones that Weaver used in ER?
Lynora

Return to Related Medical Conditions