question please

scar lymphedema, upper limb swelling, sirolimus-treated patients, limb volume, Massive Localized Lymphedema, Toxoplasmosis research papers, surgery pain, tattoos, hysterectomy, lymphedema side effects, causes of lymphedema, head lymphedema, eyelid lymphedema, insect bites, rosacea, elderly lymphedema, bioimpedence

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

question please

Postby carol » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:34 pm

Hi Pat,
I had nodes taken when i had a mastectomy on my left side.
I have lymphedema in my left arm and hand.

I had a preventative mastectomy on my right side and no nodes were taken.
I am confused if i am at risk on my right side.

Do you have any info about getting blood draws from a foot
and blood pressure.

Do you think i should do this. thanks Carol
carol

Postby Kim » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:59 pm

I would like to add to Carol's question about blood drawing and blood pressure being taken.

What do you do about those procedures if you have full body LE?? Other than avoid them like the plague! Sometimes it's necessary.

Kim
Kim

Postby patoco » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:41 pm

Hi Carol and Kim

There is much research going on to try to ascertain why some people who have nodes removed don't get lymphedema while others do.

Thus far, the consensus seems to be that those who DO get lymphedema may already have an "at risk" lymph system.

Therefore, I would have to say, yes, there is a potential for trouble with the right arm as well.

Hopefully, more research will be able to help give us an answer on something as important as this.

There is a device called a cuff blood pressure machine that is much much more gentle then those arm ones usedc at hospitals and doctors offices. I tried one out and was surprise as to the difference in the compression.

Here's a link with some info and pictures:

Health Check Systems

http://www.healthchecksystems.com/bpwrist.htm

Here is a study abouat the accuracy of a wrist BP monitor:

Accuracy of a wrist blood pressure monitor

The traditional way of measuring blood pressure uses a cuff that goes on the upper arm. Recently, wrist monitors have been introduced that are much smaller and easier to use than arm monitors. They also have the advantage that the same cuff size can be used in fat and thin people, because the diameter of the wrist is affected little by obesity, in comparison with the upper arm.

A study conducted in Switzerland compared the blood pressure measured by a wrist monitor (the Omron R3) with the traditional mercury sphygmomanometer measuring blood pressure from the upper arm, and a catheter placed directly in the artery, which is the 'gold standard' of blood pressure measurement. It was done in 100 patients who were undergoing catheterization of their hearts, which entailed measurement of blood pressure from inside the major arteries. It was found that the wrist monitor gave readings that were a little closer to the pressure measured directly from the artery than the readings given by the mercury sphygmomanometer.

Doctor’s Comments

This study shows that the Omron wrist monitor can give accurate measurements of blood pressure, even when it gives readings that differ from the conventional mercury sphygmomanometer. The main source of error with the wrist monitors is that the monitor has to be at the level of the heart when the reading is taken (which was not a problem with this study, because the patients were all lying flat when the readings were taken).

Where It Was Published

S Watson and colleagues. Accuracy of a new wrist cuff oscillometric blood pressure device. Comparison with intra-arterial and mercury manometer. American Journal of Hypertension 1998; p.1469

By: Thomas Pickering, MD, DPhil, FRCP, Director of Integrative and Behavioral Cardiology Program of the Cardiovascular Institute at Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York.

http://www.bio-medical.com/news_display.cfm?newsid=60

Having BP taken on the leg and or blood draw from the leg from what I understand is safe and accurate, so it is a good option for those with bi-lateral arm lymphedema.

Kim, the question on blood draws is a tough one with full body LE. The only option to not having blood drawn from an arm or leg is to have a central line put in. This is called a "chest port." Your physcian probably is not going to be willing to do this unless there is a need for constant use.

Due to the extreme number of infections requiring IV antibiotics, and due to the bilateral arm LE I have, I did have one put in a couple years ago.
I also have used it for chemo. It has been great for me...very convenient, and I have never had a problem with it.

I know this isn't much help Kim...wish I had a better alternative for ya.

Pat O
patoco
Site Admin

thank you Pat

Postby carol » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:51 am

Thanks Pat for the info and when i go to doctor i am going to talk to him about getting blood drawn from my foot.Also bp.
My heart and prayers go out to everyone who has le, especially those who were born with this horrible condition.
thank you for all your help....le hugs carol
carol

Return to Lymphedema Information