More news on lymph node transplants for secondary lymphedema

scar lymphedema, upper limb swelling, sirolimus-treated patients, limb volume, Massive Localized Lymphedema, Toxoplasmosis research papers, surgery pain, tattoos, hysterectomy, lymphedema side effects, causes of lymphedema, head lymphedema, eyelid lymphedema, insect bites, rosacea, elderly lymphedema, bioimpedence

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

More news on lymph node transplants for secondary lymphedema

Postby ma1290 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:35 pm

Treatment of various secondary lymphedemas by microsurgical lymph vessel transplantation.
Felmerer G, Sattler T, Lohrmann C, Tobbia D.
Microsurgery. 2011 Nov 24. doi: 10.1002/micr.20968. [Epub ahead of print]

Source
Division of Plastic Surgery, Department of Trauma Surgery, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Medicine, Göttingen, Germany; Department of Plastic, Aesthetic and Hand Surgery, Klinikum Kassel, Kassel, Germany; Department of Radiology, University of Freiburg Medical Centre, Freiburg, Germany. gunther.felmerer@med.uni-goettingen.de.

Abstract
Chronic lymphedema is a debilitating complication of cancer diagnosis and therapy and poses many challenges for health care professionals. It remains a poorly understood condition that has the potential to occur after any intervention affecting lymph node drainage mechanism. Microsurgical lymph vessel transplantation is increasingly recognized as a promising method for bypassing the obstructed lymph pathways and promoting long-term reduction of edema in the affected limb. A detailed review of 14 patients with postoperative lymphedema treated with autologous lymph vessel transplantation between October 2005 and November 2009 was performed. In this report, the authors gave an account of their experience in utilizing this operative method to alleviate secondary lymphedema including upper limb, lower limb, genital, and facial edemas. Lymph vessel transplantation enhanced lymphatic drainage in patients with secondary lymphedema. In the upper and lower extremities, three patients had completed symptomatic recovery and another nine patients achieved reasonable reduction of lymphedema, four of these needed no further lymph drainage or compression garments and the remaining maintained their improvement with further decongestive therapy with or without compression garments. The patients with facial and genital edemas also experienced significant symptomatic improvement. The authors were able to establish long-term patency of the lymph vessel anastomosis by magnetic resonance lymphangiography. © 2011 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Microsurgery, 2011.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2211 ... t=Abstract

Cool stuff!
ma1290

Re: More news on lymph node transplants for secondary lymphe

Postby patoco » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:41 pm

Hey Adam :)

Cool stuff, but I strongly urge people to not have this done.

All the tests seem to indicate that those who get secondary lymphedema already have an "at risk" lymphatic system.

Plus, those of us who are primaries often have a more damaged or incomplete lymph system then we realize. That is what is true in my case.

Lymph node transplants may be robbing Peter to pay Paul, with the patient in serious trouble down the road.

BTW, quite a number of the respected LE doctors I know are also very very concerned about this. There needs to be follow up in terms of some years before they asses its safety.

Many times the complications, especially life threatening ones may not show up for years...then boom.....

In my case, the lymphoma (duagnosed 1995) started in the leg they did that Thompson's procedure on in the early seventies.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby ma1290 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:02 pm

I appreciate your insight :). It will be interesting to see how/if lymph node transplants hold up after a few decades and what sorts of complications they might have.
Adam
ma1290

Postby patoco » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:12 am

There also is actually some exciting research being done right here in Atlanta. That is in growing lymph nodes and/or system using stem cells. Can't wait to see how that turns out.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby ma1290 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:16 am

That sounds pretty wild! I'll look forward to hearing about it!
ma1290

Postby nancyroa » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:57 pm

Can you tell me more about the stem cell research in Atlanta - eg, who's doing it at what institution? I've read about a small study in China and another in Mexico that showed promising results using autologous stem cell injections, but haven't found anyone in the US who's doing this type of research.

Thanks in advance, and Happy New Year!
nancyroa

Postby patoco » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:40 am

Hey Nancy and a Happy New Year to you :!:

It is being done at Emory Univ. and is headed by Dr. Young-sup Yoon, MD, Ph.D. ardiologist and Stem Cell Biologist)

I must tell you I was very impressed with Dr. Yoon at our Lighthouse lymphedema Network last Fall. He gave a presentation of his research and it looks quite promising.

BTW, we added a page on this in our Lymphedema People Wiki articles section:

Stem Cell Therapy for Lymphedema

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/wiki/do ... lymphedema

It is interesting, the page includes a study done in 2009 at the Institute of Hematology and Immunology in Havana, Cuba. So they have been conducting research there as well.

I have been doing lots of updating during the past few months, so I will go in a research to see if there are any updates for this page.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby nancyroa » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:27 pm

Thanks forpointing me in his direction - I've been looking through his website.

I know it's very hard to move preclinical work into clinical trials. Is there a way we can help with this effort?

Thanks in advance for any advice you have -

Nancy
nancyroa

Return to Lymphedema Information