lymphedema of the Abdomen.

scar lymphedema, upper limb swelling, sirolimus-treated patients, limb volume, Massive Localized Lymphedema, Toxoplasmosis research papers, surgery pain, tattoos, hysterectomy, lymphedema side effects, causes of lymphedema, head lymphedema, eyelid lymphedema, insect bites, rosacea, elderly lymphedema, bioimpedence

Moderators: Birdwatcher, jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

lymphedema of the Abdomen.

Postby teddybear » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:20 pm

After a Year of being told there was nothing wrong the Doctor's have finally admitted to my Wife that She has Lymphedema. She has severe swelling all over one Side of the Body. She has Stockings for the Arm and Legs but has been told there is nothing to be done about the swelling of the Abdomen. Is that True?, the Swelling is so bad and she is so uncomfortable.

Thank You

Paul
teddybear

Re: lymphedema of the Abdomen.

Postby patoco » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:18 am

Hi Paul

Super welcome to the family to both you and you wife.

There are some things that can be done about abdominal lymphedema. A certified lymphedema therapist should be able to do manual decongestive therapy even on an abdomen.

Depending on the severity, a doctor may even prescribe a diuretic. Generally, a diuretic should be avoided in terms of treating lymphedema, but sometimes it become necessary. I was hit with unbelievable abdominal and chest lymphedema and was put on diuretics to help me.

They also should be able to help find some garments the can provide compression for the ab.

My main concern is that the fluid in the ab may go up into the lung cavities and that is one totally miserable experience. I have to have these tubes in my chest and at one point was draining both lungs every three days or so. It is much better now, but for years that was my regimen.

Here's another discussion page we have - it may have a couple ideas for you.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1779

Tell her doctor she wants a referral to a certified lymphedema therapist - tell them - don't ask. It is very important to do this as soon as possible.

You wife is certainly welcome to post too :)

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Lymphedema Information