After open heart surgery...

HOSPICE, genetics clinic, leaking legs, EMG, nerve conductions, phantom liquid feeling, chronic fatigue, chills, malaise, ankle pain, swollen feet, transient lymphedema, full body lymphedema, tissue hardness, dystonia, painful boil

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

After open heart surgery...

Postby lisa ann » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:40 pm

Here is my story. I had open heart surgery in 8/03. From there things went down hill. I got an infection, my whole chest area was open. Went to emergency rooms, doctors all turned me away till 1/04. I finally got someone to listen to me. But, a little to late as far as my health issues for the rest of my life. I had to have total reconstruction of the chest area. Now I have swelling from my abdomen area the whole way up to the top of my head. And when I walk a block and half my legs too. I can hardly stand the pain especially when it get into my neck and gives me a severe headache. My stomach area when it swells I get to the point of throwing up. I am so depressed I know there are people worse then me out there but can anyone direct me to some help. Right now I go to Lymph therapy once week it use to be twice but insurance says no.
lisa ann

Postby silkie » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:55 pm

Hi Ya Lisa Ann

Therapy once a week????

ok I know nothing of your condition

but i know lymph and i do my mld every day

We make the fluid every day so mld helps get some of that fluid out of our body or it will sit there one day on top of the next building more and more.

Can you do your own mld? if not ask the therapist to teach you any questions no matter how trivial you think they are ask

I cannot say do as most of us lymphers do because of your other medical condition you need to talk with your therapist and see if you can help yourself in self care

Sorry i cant be of more help

Let us know how you get on

and please read the info i have learned so much

Hugsssssssssssss

Silksxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
silkie

Postby lisa ann » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:59 pm

Thanks for e-mailing me :D I actually did talk with my therapist and there is nada I can do because the infection done so much damage inside.
And trust me no doctors really want no part in trying to fiqure out what to do for me.
lisa ann

Postby silkie » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:49 am

Hi again Lisa

I still think if its ok with your medical condition MLD
done by yourself each day would help

The sickness is something many lymphers have i think its the toxins
in our body making us feel that way. That is another plus for MLD each day we by removing the fluid help rid ourselves of the toxins

Depression is an unwanted bedfellow of lymph to
i should imagine it is of any cronic illness.

I think reading old postings might help with the different ways many with depression have gotton thru

Hugssssssssssssssss

Silksxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
silkie

Postby patoco » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:25 pm

Hi Lisa :)

Wanted to welcome you to our family here and to apologize that I have taken so long to reply to you. I was out of town last week and am still way way behind in everything.

With the open heart surgery and the chest reconstruction, I am quite honestly, not surprised at the problems you are now having. The chest area is a major center for lymph transport.

Here are the areas involved in your situation and a description of their function:

Subclavian Vein (Right)

The subclavian vein is a continuation of the axillary vein (vein of the armpit) from the upper arm. A branch of the subclavian vein (right and left) extends from each arm. The vein then converges and extends from the first rib to the clavicle (collar bone), where it merges with the internal jugular vein to form the innominate. The subclavian veins are also important to the lymphatic system as a means of introcucing lymph back into the blood. The thoracic duct, which carries lymph, joins the left subclavian near the junction with the internal jugular vein. The lymphatic duct carries lymph to the right subclavian vein and also joins it near the junction with the internal jugular vein.

Subclavian Vein (Left)

The subclavian vein is a continuation of the axillary vein (vein of the armpit) from the upper arm. A branch of the subclavian vein (right and left) extends from each arm. The vein then converges and extends from the first rib to the clavicle (collar bone), where it merges with the internal jugular vein to form the innominate. The subclavian veins are also important to the lymphatic system as a means of introcucing lymph back into the blood. The thoracic duct, which carries lymph, joins the left subclavian near the junction with the internal jugular vein. The lymphatic duct carries lymph to the right subclavian vein and also joins it near the junction with the internal jugular vein.

Thoracic duct

The thoracic duct is the channel for the collection of lymph from the portion of the body below the diaphragm and from the left side of the body above the diaphragm. It is a long duct, approximately 16 inches (40 centimeters) in the average adult. It extends from the lower spine (2nd lumbar vertebrae) to the left subclavian vein where it drains. The thoracic duct and the lymphatic duct, together, empty between 4 to 10 milliliters of lymph into the blood every minute.

I would suspect all of these have been seriusly compromised and thus your body's ability to move and remove lymph fluid has been dramatically impaired.

While there are things you can do that can help some, this is not a situation where you are going to be able to either maintain or resolve the swelling on your own.

Professional intervention by a doctor well trained in lymphedema is going to be imperative and I disagree with your therapists perspective that it is a hopeless situation.

It may be necessary for you to be admitted as an inpatient at a lymphedema treatment center. There you would undergo an emergency intervention to remove the fluid.

Afterwards, you would be shown ways to help keep the fluid out or at a minimal. There are also compression garments available for the chest and abdomen.

Steps you can do yourself would be self massage, deep (diaphragm) breathing, exercises and the like.

Another thing that needs to be done is to determine if this is causing lymph fluid buildup in the pleural cavity. This would cause serious breathing problems. If there is a significant pleural effusion, it may be necessary to have that area drained.

This situation is complex and for your safety and well being it has got to be done under the supervision of a physician.

Let me know where you are and let's see if we can get you to one of these doctors.

Lisa, I soooo totally understand what you are going through. This past year I have experienced horrible fluid build up in the chest and abdomen as a result of a completely failing lymphatic system. It is truely one of (if not) the most miserable experience physically I have ever had.

The pain, frustration and incapacitation it cause is devestating, to put it very mildly.

Please, write back and let's see what we can do.

Very best to you!

Pat O
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Lymphedema Personal stories