Kayaking with Lymphedema

HOSPICE, genetics clinic, leaking legs, EMG, nerve conductions, phantom liquid feeling, chronic fatigue, chills, malaise, ankle pain, swollen feet, transient lymphedema, full body lymphedema, tissue hardness, dystonia, painful boil

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Kayaking with Lymphedema

Postby blubrdfrend » Sun May 20, 2012 9:05 pm

My brother and I recently purchased kayaks. We have been on two different lakes on two occasions. It is a ton of fun with no standing or walking involved. I am undecided about whether to wear a stocking or wrap or nothing. When my leg gets wet the stocking will hold the dirty lake water next to my skin. If I do not wear a stocking or wrap, the leg is left unprotected. We usually stay on the water 3 to 4 hours. Yes, we are over 65. No, we don't swim well. We do however, wear life vest. What do you think?
Betty
blubrdfrend

Re: Kayaking with Lymphedema

Postby patoco » Mon May 21, 2012 10:45 am

Hey Betty

LOL....I LOVE kayaking. Got for it. When I have done it, I actually did take off the compression wrap for the very reason you gave....didn't want the water staying next to the skin. I just would immediately rewrap when I got on shore. If anyone who reads this hasn't tried, go for it, you'll have a blast. :!: :D

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Re: Kayaking with Lymphedema

Postby blubrdfrend » Mon May 21, 2012 6:56 pm

I will take your advice and not wear the wrap. When I get out of the water my leg will dry in 5 minutes in this Texas heat. Yes the kayaking is fun. It is perfect for people who can't walk far. It is great exercise for legs and arms. We love the waves and the wakes. The youngest in our group is 59 (baby). Anyone that is interested can find videos on You Tube. Ours have foot rest inside that are so much help. This is a cheap, no gasoline, no motor, boat. These are so light that I can load and unload it myself. Some friends put rod holders on theirs so they can fish. I have not yet mastered the exit while remaining dry. :oops:
blubrdfrend

Return to Lymphedema Personal stories