Leg Cramps

HOSPICE, genetics clinic, leaking legs, EMG, nerve conductions, phantom liquid feeling, chronic fatigue, chills, malaise, ankle pain, swollen feet, transient lymphedema, full body lymphedema, tissue hardness, dystonia, painful boil

Moderators: Birdwatcher, jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

Leg Cramps

Postby joanne johnson » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:50 pm

I have lymphedema in both legs from the knee down. For several years I have suffered from severe cramps in sometimes both legs at the same time. I have to get out of bed and painfully walk around till the cramps go away. This happens once in awhile during the day but mostly at night. Apparantly it is not caused by low potassium or magnesium. I have tried quinine water but I don't want to take it everynight as I don't know when it will happen. I know which positions of my legs to avoid which will bring on the cramps. Sometimes it just happens without warning.

I have mentioned this to a couple of doctors and they really don't care. They pretty much say that some people get cramps and others don't. This doesn't help me or give me any relief. Could this possibly be caused by the lymphedema?

Thank you for any ideas you may have.
joanne johnson

Re: Leg Cramps

Postby patoco » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:32 am

Hi Joanne

As far as I know, the leg cramps are not associated with lymphedema. I checked everything I could and there seems to be no documentation anywhere that it is associated.

There are many reasons for leg cramps though other then potassium deficiency.

Shortages of other minerals (like calcium), medicines, diuretics, steroids plus having flat feet and/or overusing the legs, cirrhosis, kidney failure, diabetes....on and on....

I went through that as well, but my wound up being caused by the diuretics. My doctor didn't take it seriously either and said pretty much the same thing you did. Right...doc....both legs completely cramping up is normal! I was hot.

I finalyl took care of it by just engorging myself with potassium rich foods, amd potassium pills. At one point, they were so bad, I couldn't even go to the store for thirty minutes without them cramping up.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Re: Leg Cramps

Postby joanne johnson » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:22 pm

Dear Pat

I am surprised that this problem seems uncommon. At least I now know that the cramping is not due to lymphedema. I will have to keep searching. Thanks for your help.
joanne johnson

Return to Lymphedema Personal stories