Lymphedema Shame

HOSPICE, genetics clinic, leaking legs, EMG, nerve conductions, phantom liquid feeling, chronic fatigue, chills, malaise, ankle pain, swollen feet, transient lymphedema, full body lymphedema, tissue hardness, dystonia, painful boil

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Lymphedema Shame

Postby blubrdfrend » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:23 am

My mother died recently. She was always ashamed of my Lymphedema leg. She never wanted it mentioned. I was a young widow, with two children, when a man at work ask me out. She cautioned me to not mention my leg or medical problems to him. She didn't have to tell me how ugly it was, but she did. I don't know if the lymphedema made a difference in the way she felt about me. When she died my brother (one year older ) ask me if she had ever hugged me. I felt so sorry for him. She never hugged either of us or told us that she loved us. She never touched us except in anger. We spent over 60 years trying to make her happy. In spite of our medical problems, we need to make every hour count and thank God for this life he has allowed us to share with those that we love. We can not afford to waste the time that we have. We can't do everything, but we can do something.
Betty
blubrdfrend

Re: Lymphedema Shame

Postby joanne johnson » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:05 am

Please accept my sympathy upon the death of your mom. Perhaps she was just unable to have maternal feelings that she could express towards you and your brother. It is sad and certainly her loss. I have read many of your contributions to this forum which always showed how caring and kind you are to other people.

I know that you are not ashamed of your lymphedema and rightly so. We have to stand up for ourselves and be proud of who we are and what we can accomplish. God bless you!
joanne johnson

Postby blubrdfrend » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:26 am

Thank you for your kindness, although I am sometimes ashamed. I can hardly believe that I posted the experiences from my
childhood. I am a member of several organizations and groups. I have never mentioned my early family life. Something about this group.....
Betty
blubrdfrend

Postby patoco » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:30 am

My Sympathies as well Betty.

I think my mom was ashamed of mine as well. I echo Joanne's words too.

We all have so appreciated your posts, sharing and contributions to the family here :!:

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Lymphedema Personal stories