Problems With Elevation?

HOSPICE, genetics clinic, leaking legs, EMG, nerve conductions, phantom liquid feeling, chronic fatigue, chills, malaise, ankle pain, swollen feet, transient lymphedema, full body lymphedema, tissue hardness, dystonia, painful boil

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Problems With Elevation?

Postby cjhurt92 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:55 pm

Hey, My names carlos I'm New Here, I'm 17 and a Half... I'm Learning Lots Of New stuff here, Thats For the Site! :P
My question: Does anyone else feel Horrible after a night of elevating your leg(s) Or any other body parts?
Sometimes after a night of elevating my leg my whole body feels achy for 3-4 hours. I get that weird cellulitus, infection feeling. I feel sore,achy and a little nauseated....Does this happend to anyone else?
cjhurt92

Re: Problems With Elevation?

Postby patoco » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:32 am

Hey Carolos :D

Super welcome to our family! My first name is Charles (Carlos) - very cool :!:

I appreciated your note and questions for a couple reasons.

First, I have had that all m life and it was ingteresting to see someone else experiencing that feeling. Many many lymphers don't when they get up in the morning, , but I did even growing up and massively more after I hit middle age.

One of the most ineresting things they have discovered about lymphedema is the tremendous amount of inflammation it causes us.

When you elevate you legs like that, the fluid naturally will flow upwards and be moved by functional lymphatics elsewhere. emember, that fluid is a waste product and full of pretty much junk including waste protein. It is my thoughts that this cellulitis-like pain is an inflammatory response to our body's reaction to having this extra fuid moved around in our body. It is reacting because it is trying somewhow to process the fluid and remove it.

What has actually helped me is that I take a benedryl in the morning.

But, Carlos, please don't do this without checking with both your parents and your doctor. That is very important.

I wish you lived here in the Atlanta area, as our Lighthose Lymphedema Network is starting a person to person tenn network this Fall. We have a conference coming up on October 24th. If by some great fortune you do, write me at lymphedemapeople@aol.com and I would be thrilled to sponsor a scholarship for the registration fees.

Lymphedema People also sponsors an online support group for Teens called

Teens with Lymphedema

http://health.dir.groups.yahoo.com/grou ... ymphedema/

and we would love to see you there as well.

Look forward to getting to know you :!: :!:

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby cjhurt92 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:42 pm

benedryl ?.. I'll Have to try that...I usually just take morphine, But I hate having to take it i know the dangers. So tomorrow i'll try that thanks pat :)
No Live in a small town in california But i will check out that Teens with Lymphedema website..I appreciate it.
cjhurt92

Postby leonivitch » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:51 am

Hello to the good folks at Lymphedema People,

I hope I am in the proper forum or place to submit a comments and questions about my condition. If not, let me apologize from the gitgo.

This topic caught my attention because I too have problems with elevation. I am age 81. My guess is that my problem with elevation is connected to the peripheral neuropathy I have had for 26 years. My Lymphedema came on about 6 years ago. Leg elevation was advised from the beginning and has always caused pain.(LE is primarily in my legs, feet and ankles but I think it's making its way into my abdomen. My thighs are not completely hard but they are lumpy.)

Because of constant pain leaving me sleepless when lying down, I have been sleeping in a chair with my feet flat upon the floor for the last three years. Keeping that position prevents pain in my feet and and lower legs. At the same time the LE continues to worsen with my legs growing larger and larger below the knees. I have been through three courses of MLD or lymphatic massage since 2008. I ended my last series of MLD in June of '10 because of the hassle pursuing that treatment was causing at home. I was dependent on my wife of the same age for transportation to and from daily which was a burden on her. In addition my traveling back and forth became intolerable for me because of the discomfort of accessing a sitting position in the car due to the limitations caused by the wrappings on my legs. As well, I became more and more depressed -- continuing more so even as I write.

I am still fairly strong and am open to suggestions and opinions on learning to do the MLD at home in view of the above described limiting situation. I have explored the Web for therapists who offer MLD services in the home of patients and found none in my area. Can anyone name a learn-at-home course in MLD or offer information that might help me to better assess my predicament?

Thank you all in advance,

leonivitch
leonivitch

Postby patoco » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:43 am

Hi Leon

Super welcome to our family :!: :!:

We do have a page with info on self massage:

Lymphedema Self Massage Therapy

viewtopic.php?t=227

This page also has some info:

Leg Lymphedema

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/thesite ... hedema.htm

Also, this place has a video on it:

Barbara Feldman Arm & Leg Video

http://www.bandagesplus.com/prd/97/817/ ... ideos.html

I'll try to see if I can any additional ones, but these are good and should help quite a bit.

Do you know why elevation causes pain? The only thing I can think of is that the Sciatic nerve is getting pressure on it.

The nerve (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sciatic_nerve) runs all the way down your leg on the back side. If you have a lymphedema therapist, ask them about this and what you might be able to do to prevent it.

We are all here for you and if you have any concerns or further questions, please don't hesitate to post.

My very best to you!

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Lymphedema Personal stories