Help with cuts on lymphedema leg

HOSPICE, genetics clinic, leaking legs, EMG, nerve conductions, phantom liquid feeling, chronic fatigue, chills, malaise, ankle pain, swollen feet, transient lymphedema, full body lymphedema, tissue hardness, dystonia, painful boil

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Help with cuts on lymphedema leg

Postby xshlynne » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:29 pm

I need help here and am getting none from my doctor. A little over two weeks ago I cut my leg shaving. Yes, no need to lecture on that. I know I should not have used a regular razor and have learned my lesson. I essentially skinned my leg in two places pretty badly. I had cellulitis in 2007 and panicked at the thought of a recurrence. I went to the doctor right a way and he told me to use guaze bandages (bandaids are too small for the cuts) and antibiotic ointment. At first I was having to change the bandages really frequently because my leg was leaking lymph fluid pretty badly. A little over two weeks out and my leg is still leaking lymph fluid. It is not as bad, but still leaking. I'm not sure what to do next. How long should it take before the leg quits leaking? Until it heals? Is continually covering it with bandages preventing it from healing? I'm wondering if it would dry up if I just tried to leave it uncovered for any real length of time.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I've never had problems with lymph fluid leaking before so this is all new for me.
xshlynne

Re: Help with cuts on lymphedema leg

Postby patoco » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:12 pm

Hey Ashlynne :)

Compression is going to be the real key for the wounds to finally close up.

The doc is correct in using gauze bandages. Sometimes too, we discover too late that any type of tape can cause secondary problems. I never use it on either of my legs.

The best thing you can do is use either the antibiotic ointment or put some baby diaper ointment with zinc oxide on it. Then the gause bandage...then wrap firm (not too tight, but firm) with a short stretch bandage. Wrap using a figure 8 technique.

Actually, I do recommend and have better fortunes leaving the leg unwrapped sometime during the day - but only if you are gong to have the leg up and not be on it.

Being up without it being wrapped is going to cause more swelling and it is the swelling that pulls the tissues apart as they try to heal.

Hope this helps - let us know how it goes.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Lymphedema Personal stories