Hardness in leg

HOSPICE, genetics clinic, leaking legs, EMG, nerve conductions, phantom liquid feeling, chronic fatigue, chills, malaise, ankle pain, swollen feet, transient lymphedema, full body lymphedema, tissue hardness, dystonia, painful boil

Moderators: Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, jenjay, tkincheloe, Senior Moderators

Hardness in leg

Postby katytambou » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:17 pm

HI,

Another question. And at this time I have no therapist. I can't remember and I need help on this from anybody. My right has been leg has been hard again, and I have been bandageing it every nite, and when I take them off in the morning or afternoon my leg is still hard. Is there something I'm not doing right that I was taught from the therapist or is it I'm not bandageing it right? I had therapy in April till May and all was fine untill just recently. HELP :? Also still waiting for answer on how thick is the foam for swell spots. Thanks
katytambou

Re: Hardness in leg

Postby patoco » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:54 pm

Hey Katy :)

The thickness of the spots varies depending on what you are using them for. Mine vary from about 1/2 " to an inch" (homemade ones).

You mentioned bandaging at night. Do you do this with short stretch bandages? Do you wrap during the day? Can you describe your wrapping technique? Also, do you use any foam or padding under the bandage?

It may be that you are going to need to attack this from several points.

First, continued wrapping is essential. I'll be honest with you though, I don't wrap at night. If I know that I am gong to be off my feet with my legs up, I leave the wrap off at night. I'm to concerned about them cutting of circulation while I move about when sleeping.

Second, are you doing any self MLD? That might be necessary too - starting with lymph node stimulation before the MLD.

Third, leg exercises that help the lymph system pump that fluid can be helpful.

Fourth, using the swell spots on strategic areas - areas that present the worse hadness or any "buldges."

Fifth, don't forget that lotion too. It is critical to help the external layers of your skin remain soft and pliable.

Is there any possibility of you getting into a swim routine? Swimming is simply the best of the best for exercise that helps lymph movement.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby armywife » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:04 pm

To follow up on the swimming issue...do you swim with your compression stocking on or off?

Thanks,
armywfie
armywife

Postby patoco » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:16 pm

Hey :wink:

Wow....that was fast.

I swim without either a stocking or the bandage on. To me personnally, I feel it is more beneficial to do that as it allows the water direct contact causing a better therapeutic effect.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby armywife » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:36 am

AM off to the pool today...sans the compression stocking!! Thanks for the info!!

Armywife!!
armywife

Postby katytambou » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:46 pm

Hi, Thanks for the answering me so fast. Yes, I wear the short bandages and I wear them at night and at times if I'm home I'll wear them all day and take them off about 3 to 4 hours and put them on before I go to bed. I wear my compression panty hose during the day if I leave the house and at times when I'm home to.

1st - Wrapping - First the lotion on the legs (Eucerin), tubular socklette, foam then the shots wraps. Start with the smallest wrap on the footend of toes to a little past the ankle, next size wrap from ankle to mid calf etc.

2nd - Yes I do MLD every day but not to sure about the stimulation. Can you please explain the stimulation :?:

3rd - Yes I do exercise, but I think I need to do more. I was thinking to join a gym for my legs plus to lose weight. Need to get the weight off for my legs, and no more excuses for me. :lol:

4th - Just bought swell spots and trying them out.

5th - No swimming, but I do have a house in Flordia and when I go, I'll try my pool and will let you know.

Also could it be my foam that is getting thin or maybe I should go back to the cotton padding. My Therapist started with the padding for awhile then went to the foam. Does the padding do anything different then the foam does :?:

Kathy
katytambou

Return to Lymphedema Personal stories