tummy tuck/LLE

HOSPICE, genetics clinic, leaking legs, EMG, nerve conductions, phantom liquid feeling, chronic fatigue, chills, malaise, ankle pain, swollen feet, transient lymphedema, full body lymphedema, tissue hardness, dystonia, painful boil

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

tummy tuck/LLE

Postby armywife » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:18 pm

Just wanted to see if anyone out there who has lower leg lymphedema...ever had elective abd surgery..especially a tummy tuck. What was your outcome? Any problems post op? What measures did you take pre and postoperatively?

I have seen 2 plastic surgeons already and was tild no clinical studies to show any stats what my outcome could be...both agreed No liposuction as they feel that would be too much trauma. I would be cut form hip bone to hip bone...so we are talking major surgery!!

I have my LAST surgical consult 14 August...so will let you all know what I decide. SO far...I am planning to have it done some time late this fall..STill have a few pounds to get off ....thanks!

Army wife!
armywife

Re: tummy tuck/LLE

Postby Kim » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:43 pm

Hi Army wife,

I work for my therapist part time. From what I have seen, having a tummy tuck is really asking for further problems. A woman came in this past week that had not had LE, but now as a result of a tummy tuck, she is in really bad shape. I have no doubt that if she could turn the clock back, she would and forgo the surgery. Any surgery causes scar tissue which hinders lymph flow...cutting into the lymph pathways. There are numerous women in our office that have complications due to plastic surgery. I doubt they would say it was worth it! :x :(

From my personal experience...I started out with LLE from a spider bite, but having had an appendectomy about the same time, it spread. From the beginning, I have taken really good care of myself, and do everything I can to manage this condition. Inspite of that, I now have full body LE, and this has been in a 3 1/2 year period of time.

Before my spider bite, I had lost 70 lbs, so I know what you're talking about and why you would want a tummy tuck. :wink: Believe me....I understand! :!: I'm just very very glad that I hadn't done that, otherwise, I would be in even worse shape than I am already.

Please, [i]please[/i], think long and hard about the surgery...once it's done...

My best to you, :)
Kim
Kim

Postby armywife » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:38 pm

Kim,
Your suggestions are duly noted. I actually just made an appt with a lymphedema Dr. in Pennsylvania mainly to address this exact issue!!

Will keep all posted!

Thanks,
Army wife
armywife

Postby lymphlady » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:01 pm

Hi Army Wife,

I am by no means an expert on this subject but can only give you my own personal experience. I had to have abdominal surgery three times(c-section and two vertical laparatomies) after developing lymphedema. I was considered extremely high risk and I developed a very severe wound infection after the c-section. I'm not sure that the lymph had an effect on it but knowing what I know now, I would say yes. I had an infection the section surgery but wasn't nearly as bad as the first. The last surgery they put in a drain and gave me some special stuff to promote healing of the incision. I can't remember what it was called now.

Prior to my surgery I was on coumadin. I was taken off seven days prior to surgery and they put the pumps on my legs after the surgery and then was started on heparin and coumadin again in the hospital. I have had blood clots so extreme caution was taken.

I would definitely give this a lot of thought before having the surgery.
lymphlady

Postby armywife » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:00 pm

Hi Lymphlady,

Thank you for sharing your experience. As a result of your infection...did your lymphedema get worse and spread to other body parts? Did they give you antibiotics to take a week before surgery and then in surgery and postoperatively?? That was one suggestion a PT gave me...and to also have my leg wrapped in compression (not my juzo stocking) and to keep leg wrapped and elevated 24 to 48 hours post op.....I also have made an appt with a Lymph Dr that I got off this website...Dr. Rebecca Smith for next month. I wanted to discuss this with her as well as my recent lymph leak that was bloody.( A first for me!) Has anyone seen Dr Smith before?? I will be driving to PA for this visit( I live in Va) but feel this will be well worth the trip. There is no doubt in my mind she says no to this surgery...I will not be doing this!! I have what I consider managable lymphedema right now and want to keep it that way!!

All my best,
Army wife
armywife

Postby lymphlady » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:05 pm

My c-section was done in a navy hospital and it was thirteen years ago so I can't remember for sure. From what I can remember, I am a strep carrier so I had antibiotics during labor and after the surgery. With my other surgeries, I had antibiotics post op but not pre op and both were done at va hospitals.

The majority of my swelling is in my right leg. While I was having therapy, my therapist mentioned lipedema, which I don't know really anything about. My lymph was a result of a stress fracture of my femur while in boot camp. I developed a blood clot and had three more clots after that. I have had chronic swelling in that leg and it wasn't until I used Tricare, that I found a civilian doctor to do MLD. Military and VA doctors don't even consider it an option. My doctor at the VA said she had heard of it but the VA didn't offer it.
lymphlady

Postby armywife » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:34 am

Good morning Lymphlady,

Wow...my military health experience has been beyond reproach! My original miltary surgeon at Ft Stewart told me I had a 30% chance of lymphedema(and explained in detail to me and my hubby what that was and what that entailed) and had me fitted for a jobst stocking before I even had my lymph node dissection. ALso, my civilian oncologist was also on top of this and tricare has approved every single MLD therpay and supplies from the word GO....it has been sice Oct 96 since I have dealt with this issues.We are now retired and I still have tricare prime..just have co payments of 12.00$ but still have easy access to MLD therpy!

Thanks for the info...

Armywife
armywife

Return to Lymphedema Personal stories