in grown toenails with lymphedema

HOSPICE, genetics clinic, leaking legs, EMG, nerve conductions, phantom liquid feeling, chronic fatigue, chills, malaise, ankle pain, swollen feet, transient lymphedema, full body lymphedema, tissue hardness, dystonia, painful boil

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

in grown toenails with lymphedema

Postby kathyl » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:49 am

Hi I am new and feel so happy to have found people with my condition. I felt alone. Does anyone else get ingrown toenails all the time?. Since I developed lymphedema in my left leg last year I have had all the toenals operated on and the large toe twice. I must wear a compression stocking on that leg. What does anyone out there know about this?
kathyl

Re: in grown toenails with lymphedema

Postby patoco » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:45 am

Hey Kathy

Super wlcome to the family here :) :)

Ingrown toe nails :( ...always a looming problem, it seems.

I've had several and they are no fun :cry:

The most important thing is to be sure to keep them trimmed. Cut straight accriss and some say just a very wee bit curved at the top. If your nails are hard or really tough, try soaking your foot in warm salt water before your trim them.

Also, sometimes, we have great difficulty bending over to actually be able to trim the toe nails. This swelling isn't condusive sometimes to activities like that. If that is the case, do like I had to do a couple times. Swallow that self-pride and ask someone to trim them for for.

if you already have an ingrown nal, please what ever you do don't just fo in and dig them out. I have found that if you very gently apply a very slight amount of pressure, you can eventually seperate them from the skin they are embedded in. But, it must be gentle and you must be absolutely carefuly not to cut or tear either the skin or the nail.

We do have a page on nails and it may have some helpful tips on nail care too:

How to Have Healthy Nails

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/wiki/do ... lthy_nails

One important thing to help prevent the nails too is try and have shoes that don't cramp your feet.

I'm a guy, so that is easier for me. I buy shoes according to the size of the more swollen foot. This has helped.

Pat 8)
patoco
Site Admin

Postby kathyl » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:36 pm

Hi Pat,
Thanks for the advice. I truely am glad to hear it is not just me with this problem. I go a foot doctor who considers me a "regular". He is not that knowledgable about lymphedema so that worries me. He always cuts the ingrown nail out and then my foot swells for a few days. It will eventually heal. I wear a 20/30 compression stocking daily and it pushes my toes together. I think that along with the swelling adds to the problem. Now I kmow I am not alone, Thanks ,Kathyl
kathyl

Postby Kim » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:40 pm

Hi Kathy,

Have you tried wrapping your toes? My toes stay wrapped all the time...night and day. If I don't wrap them, they swell and look like sausages.

Kim :)
Kim

Postby kathyl » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:44 pm

Hi Kim, Yes I have wrapped my toes. Hard to walk around though. I am finding that cool water (tub or pool) helps to lessen the swelling. Thanks for the reply, Kathy
kathyl

Postby Kim » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:10 am

Kathy,

What do you wrap your toes with? I use Elastomull 3", folded in half so that it's 1 1/2" wide. I wrap the toes with the wrap going about halfway up my foot, so that there is not a bulk of wrap in one area. I have no trouble walking with the toe wraps; it's a little bit bulky, but it doesn't affect my walking. Also, something that helps me is placing a small chip bag at the base of my toes and wrapping over that. It adds a little bulk on the top, but it makes a huge difference in toe swelling and thickening. Surprisingly enough, I have been able to find shoes that work....and not ugly ones at that. :D

I'm glad cool water helps you. It doesn't help me, but it certainly feels good! :D

Kim :)
Kim

Return to Lymphedema Personal stories