IT CAME OUT OF NOWHWERE

HOSPICE, genetics clinic, leaking legs, EMG, nerve conductions, phantom liquid feeling, chronic fatigue, chills, malaise, ankle pain, swollen feet, transient lymphedema, full body lymphedema, tissue hardness, dystonia, painful boil

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

IT CAME OUT OF NOWHWERE

Postby john » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:21 am

HERE I AM AT 67 YEARS OLD TAKING A TRIP TO CANADA, A 12 HOUR RIDE BY CAR, WITH MY FAMILY. THE DAY AFTER WE ARRIVED IN CANADA I NOTCED IN THE EVENING THAT BOTH LEGS ( CALFS )WERE ITCHING........ I THOUGHT I PICKED UP SOME SORT OF RASH OR BUG BITES.......I APPLIED VARIOUS CREAMS BUT NOTHING HELPED..
UPON ARRIVING BACK HOME I CONTACTED MY DOCTOR, HE CHECKED ME OUT AND THEN RECOMMENDED I SEE A SPECIALTS....THE SPECIALITS DIAGNOSED ME AS HAVING LEG EDEMA.........HE WRAPPED MY LEGS FOR ABOUT 7 DAYS...AFTER 7 DAYS HE DID AN ULTRA-SOUND TEST......HE THEN RECOMMENDED A BIO-COMPRESSSION THERAPY PUMP.
WHICH I HAVE BEEN USING OVER THE PAST SEVERAL MONTHS.
I'M NOT SURE WHERE ALL THIS IS GOING...........BUT I'M NOT A HAPPY CAMPER !!!!!! THERE HAS TO BE A BETTER WAY !!! ???? AND OH YES THE ITCHING CAN BE UNBEARABLE.........
LIKE I SAID " IT CAME OUT OF NOWHERE"

PLEASE ANY ADVICE WILL BE HELPFUL !!!

JOHN
john

Postby patoco » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:54 pm

Hey John

Welcome to our family here!

A couple quickie questions - do you recall any injury, infection or the like in your legs? Also, do your recall anyone in your family ever having this?

I use a lotion called Eucerin on my legs everyday - and that really seems to help on the itching, without it my skin gets bone dry and drives me crazy with the itching.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby patoco » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:58 pm

Almost forgot, here are a couple pages with some info that might help.

Our new page on Leg Lymphedema

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/wiki/do ... lymphedema

and also, there is a primary form of lymphedema that seems to come out of nowhere in late middle age and beyond, here's a page on it:

Lymphedema Tarda - Hereditary Lymphedema Type III

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/wiki/do ... dema_tarda

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

REPLY TO PAT

Postby john » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:32 pm

THANK YOU PAT FOR YOUR INPUT.......I'M VERY HAPPY TO JOIN THE FAMILY.

YOU ASKED IF ANY ONE IN MY FAMILY HAD LYMPHEDEMA.

MY FATHER DID HAVE PHIEBITIS....OTHERS IN THE FAMILY HAD VARIOUS LEG PROBLEMS BUT I'M NOT SURE WHAT THERE PROBLEMS WERE.....

A FEW YEARS AGO I DO REMEMBER SEEING INSECT BITES ON MY LEGS.. THEY WENT AWAY AFTER I USED AVEENO ON THEM.........I NEVER GAVE IT ANOTHER THOUGHT...

I'LL BE HAVING A DOCTORS APPOINTMENT SOON..........HOPEFULLY HE'LL SET ME UP WITH SOME MANUAL THERAPY
I NEED TO STAY ONTOP OF THIS.........

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR INPUT.

JOHN
john

Re: IT CAME OUT OF NOWHWERE

Postby OzClaire » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:28 pm

Hi there,

I can really empathise with your issues. It must be so hard to have this appear out of the blue. I've had it all my life and I still find it hard to cope with.

I agree with Pat about the need to use a cream to stop the dry skin itching ... what is also probably happening because "it came out of nowhere" is that your skin is having to stretch very quickly to cope with the swelling and that causes great discomfort. Keeping your legs up at hip height or higher might reduce the swelling too ... gravity can hinder or help depending on the level of feet to hips.

In the meantime, compression bandages and/or stockings will greatly help reduce the swelling & discomfort (they are available on the web) there are also "flight socks" available in most pharmacies ... the general public use them to reduce the risk of clots when flying ... they're a good stop gap I think but not enough pressure to be really good with edema

unfortunately, a lot of doctor's do not really understand edema and perhaps yours is one of them ... I'm so glad you found this site .. it's so helpful all round.

Do have a look at the pages on the machines ... there are a couple of viewpoints on the use of those.

Oh and a word about care ... edema seems to be an ideal breeding ground for germs ... I feel it would help to keep an eye out for tinea, small cuts, bites etc and go all out to clean them really, really clean .. will stop those horrible germs getting in (& we all carry them to one degree or another on our skin).

In the meantime, welcome to the family :D

Regards, OzClaire
OzClaire

Postby john » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:19 pm

THANK YOU OZCLAIRE.............

TRULY A VERY HELPFUL FAMILY...........I'VE BEEN WEARING MY COMPRESSION STOCKINGS EVERYDAY AND I'M VERY PLEASED WITH THE RESULTS........

I ALSO USE A NEW WASH MADE MADE BY JOHNSONS BABY PRODUCTS.........ITS A MILD LIQUID SOAP WITH SHEA & COCO BUTTER...........A NICE PRODUCT.........IT HELPS TO KEEP MY LEGS SOFT
NOW THAT SUMMER IS ALMOST UPON US I DO USE A BUG OFF SPRAY PRODUCT ESPECIALLY ON MY PANTS LEGS...

I ALSO USE GOLDS LOTION ON MY LEGS...........AT LEAST 2 TO 3 TIMES A DAY...........

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT.........YOUR ALL A BLESSING.

JOHN
john

Postby OzClaire » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:35 am

No, its you are are the blessing for sharing ..... 55 years alone has been very hard ... now I'm part of a wonderful family ... I'm soooo grateful ... good luck, take care, Claire
OzClaire

Return to Lymphedema Personal stories