Acupuncture!

HOSPICE, genetics clinic, leaking legs, EMG, nerve conductions, phantom liquid feeling, chronic fatigue, chills, malaise, ankle pain, swollen feet, transient lymphedema, full body lymphedema, tissue hardness, dystonia, painful boil

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Acupuncture!

Postby Darlene » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:34 pm

After 20 years of a mild case of lymphedema, my right foot and toes blew up to twice the size of the left, and MLD/bandaging has not done the trick, in spite of all of my and my mld therapist's efforts.

Although I know that it is strictly forbidden, I am actually thinking of having acupuncture, at least in the bad leg. We have a physician here who helped a young woman who had it in her foot and ankle.

Has anybody else tried acupuncture?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks.
Darlene

Postby ma1290 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:01 pm

I would ask for more details about how it helped the "young woman who had it in her foot and ankle." I'd be concerned about the risk of infection. Wouldn't hurt to check with your doctor first.
Last edited by ma1290 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ma1290

acupuncture

Postby Darlene » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:19 pm

Thank you for your very thoughtful, thorough response. Of course, acupuncture is my last resort as nothing else has worked. The acupuncturist who healed the young woman's ankle and foot is a medical doctor, educated at The Unviversity of Pennsylvania. His whole practice has now been switched from Western medicine to Eastern medicine.

the doctor whom I would see is a Doctor of Oriental Medicine, and is trained in both Western and Eastern medicine. Yes, I am fearful of doing this, but having done everything available for lymphedema, using traditional therapy and bandaging, and enduring much pain, I think it might be worth a try. I am also incorporating this with MLD.
Darlene

Postby ma1290 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:24 pm

well good luck, if you do it, let us know if it helps
ma1290

Postby patoco » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:07 am

Hey Darlene

Don't know i f you had a chance to take a look at our brief page on acupuncture:

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/thesite ... atment.htm

I must say that this really makes me nervous in terms of the possibility of infection, especially if it is done on the LE limb.

Remember, everyone of the little pin pricks is an open door for bacteria.

Appreciate your comments too Adam....

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

acupuncture

Postby Darlene » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:46 pm

Thanks for weighing in on acupuncture. I think I was one of the founding members of the National Lymphedema Network and never thought I would live to see the day when I would even contemplate acupuncture. But life has a way of "coming at your fast" and nobody could have predicted what my leg did this past year, after 20years of being a very mild case.

There is one very small study where using acupuncture and moxibustion was successful in lymphedema from having pelvic lymph nodes removed, which is my case.

Thanks also, Pat, for giving us a forum.
Darlene

Re: Acupuncture!

Postby 1phatleg » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:13 pm

Alan here: w/edemia of the leg , I also have fibromyalgia , my neck back and trunk will just seize up and it really hurts. I did do the accupuncture for this. Well they put neediles in my leg. In a couple of weeks celluities . It did help with the fibro..won't do it again though. As others have said : to risky.
1phatleg

Re: Acupuncture!

Postby Meg » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:47 am

Hey
I know this post was made quite some time ago. But for the past two months i have been getting acupuncture treatments for my leg. Its by no means a quick fix but it definitely has been helping.
Meg

Return to Lymphedema Personal stories