Compression stocking fitting

HOSPICE, genetics clinic, leaking legs, EMG, nerve conductions, phantom liquid feeling, chronic fatigue, chills, malaise, ankle pain, swollen feet, transient lymphedema, full body lymphedema, tissue hardness, dystonia, painful boil

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Compression stocking fitting

Postby Seattle Gal » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:06 pm

Hi All,

This is a question for all who wear custom fitted and ordered compression stockings. Pat I am particularly interested in hearing what you have to say.

I have been having trouble with consistency of fit when ordering custom fit knee high compression socks. I wear Mediven socks as they work well fro me when they fit correctly. After several trys we finally got the ordering process down and I received several pairs of knee high socks over the last 2 years that were a great fit. The last two pairs of socks had some minor changes in the circumference measurements of my calves. Nothing dramatic just some minor reductions. Well the socks that came recently were 1/2 inch to long and so don't fit well. My fitter sent them back to company for their review. They returned them to her saying that was within their manufacturing tolerance. Has anyone run into something similar. 1/2 inch to long or to short makes a huge difference in the way they fit. We aren't sure what to do next. They don't seem real interested in providing good customer service. I hate to start at the beginning with a new company but $440 for a pair of socks that don't fit is not something I can deal with on a regular basis.

I was wondering if any of you have run into this problem and what you did. Pat, do you have any experience in this area?
Seattle Gal

Re: Compression stocking fitting

Postby kathyl » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:10 am

Hi , I also had problems with compression stocking fittings. I must have tried 3 different garments and the fitter was not measuring me correctly. Insurance did not cover the stocking and they were charging really high prices at a Specialty shop. I developed Lymphedema in my left leg after an operation for ovarian cancer. I finally took matters into my own hands and ordered my own compression stockings on line. I now have the open toe full leg beige 20/30 compression stockings that I measured myself and they fit great. there is a sizing chart on the internet with all the major stocking companies.I live in Florida so I need to wear sandals. I can wear flip flops with those. I can also wear crocs when I need to walk long distances. I was told that Nordstroms will sell 2 different size shoes without an additional cost to you if your foot is one size different that the other. Good to know. Hope this info helps. Kathyl
kathyl

Return to Lymphedema Personal stories