Hello, my story of

HOSPICE, genetics clinic, leaking legs, EMG, nerve conductions, phantom liquid feeling, chronic fatigue, chills, malaise, ankle pain, swollen feet, transient lymphedema, full body lymphedema, tissue hardness, dystonia, painful boil

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Hello, my story of

Postby judy din » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:38 am

Hello everyone,

I've had lymphedema in my right foot since March 2002 (age 43 then). I fell off a horse in summer of 2001, onto my right side. I was bruised pretty bad from the back to the front, and it took about a month for that to get better. I didn't make the connection when my foot started swelling the next year.

I went to my primary care doctor and he thought the problem was myxedema, so he prescribed thyroid medication, synthroid. Thank goodness for that, because I did have undiagnosed hypothyroidism. However, he thought my foot swelling probably wouldn't clear up and said I'd have to live with it.

(I've read some posts from others on these forums and at times I've wished to tell everyone to get their TSH and T4 levels checked for thyroid problems!)

So for about five years I didn't know what was going on. I saw another doctor who said I had a blockage, and recommended I get a venous doppler to check for blood clots. I did that, but she also said the blockage didn't need to be fixed right away, so I let it go. It wasn't bothering me too much, except for the problem of buying shoes. And my back, on the right side, began hurting some, and my right butt cheek became larger than the left.

So last year I fell, again on the right side. My foot was really stiff but I thought it was a sprain. Unfortunately I began to gain weight about that time. I started exercising more to bring my weight down. Unfortunately, I now believe that brought more fluid into my abdomen. One morning I woke up in pain, like a kidney stone. It turned out that the lymphedema led to hydronephrosis!

I first learned about involvement of the lymphatic system while I was in the emergency room, from the ER doctor.

It's been several months, and I'm starting MLD soon. I'm taking diuretic blood pressure medication, and my water weight has really gone down. But the new primary care doctor I'm seeing also doesn't know much about lymphedema.

I've learned much from these forums and other sites on the Internet. Believe me, without the Internet, I wouldn't know anything about lymphedema, and may not have gotten a diagnosis from the second doctor. Essentially I told her what it was, and I'm not sure she would have gotten it on her own.

I can't believe a condition like this is so poorly known by doctors. I'll let you know how the MLD works out.

Thanks for having this site!

Judy
judy din

Postby JacquieC » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:40 pm

Hi Judy

What a story you have....welcome to the board.

It is very sad that Lymphedema is barely recognized in this country and yet so many people have it I think to myself sometimes that at this very moment that there are hundreds or thousands who are still trying to get diagnosed......its sad.

I am just finishing up with my MLD treatment and bandaging......what a difference it has made

Good luck and keep us posted.

JacquieC
JacquieC

Postby nascargirl » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:56 am

Hi Judy

I too am really new here, and have learned more in the past 2 weeks than the 25 years since I was diagnosed. I have found that the socks I wear make a HUGE difference to my feet.

Stay away from nylon, lycra, polyester, etc. Stick to as high a % of cotton as possible. Also stay away from elastic around the top, stay with a rib knit top instead. The thinner the better!

I have also found that staying away from nylon shoes, or plastic ones for sandels, has a big affect. Try to only wear leather upper running shoes. Avia, and Reebok make good cross trainers, as does Brooks.

Good Luck
nascargirl
nascargirl

Return to Lymphedema Personal stories