Need info on leg swelling

HOSPICE, genetics clinic, leaking legs, EMG, nerve conductions, phantom liquid feeling, chronic fatigue, chills, malaise, ankle pain, swollen feet, transient lymphedema, full body lymphedema, tissue hardness, dystonia, painful boil

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Need info on leg swelling

Postby ksl4139 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:18 pm

Hi, My right leg has been swollen for 8 weeks, I have seen my therapist 11 times for decongestive therapy. This is the first time my leg has swollen since I was diagnosed Oct. 06. Its purple at the foot and less up the leg, but the entire leg is colored. Is there an approximate time it takes for all of the swelling to go down? I thought by now I would be back to "normal", what it was before the swelling. She wraps me with foam now on the calves and thighs. I just want to know if its going to take longer than 8 weeks or something, I know everyone is different. After my first diagnosis with therapy everyday, I was down in 6 weeks. I guess now with working it may take a little longer. Help me please.
Thanks for listening.
Kathy
ksl4139

Postby patoco » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:20 pm

Hi Kathy :)

It may take several weeks this time as well. Usually, the more advanced LE is, the longer it is going to take to get a response in the swelling.

But...what really concerns me the most is this discoloration. While it is true there are discolorations (or patches of discolorations) associated with lymphedema, this purple color sounds more like a blood circulation problem.

Has that been checked out? Were you ever diagnosed with venous insufficiency?

How about any clots? Does it hurt or is it tender?

I would really urge you to check this out.

Best

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Re: Need info on leg swelling

Postby OzClaire » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:37 pm

Totally but totally agree with Pat ... sounds like one condition masking another to me ... real problem with LE and one the doctor's etc find hard to recognise. Regards, Claire
OzClaire

Return to Lymphedema Personal stories