Can't sleep with bandages?

leg pain, leg bleeding, Farrow Wraps, Compression Stockings, cold feet, Reid Sleeve, Restless Leg Syndrome, Leg Cramps, Compression Pumps, Shoes, lower limb lymphedema, secondary leg lymphedema, leg wrapping, Cold Feet, Compression socks, nerve pain, self leg massage, right leg lymphedema

Moderators: Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Can't sleep with bandages?

Postby ksl4139 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:42 pm

I am having a terrible time trying to sleep with my bandages. Does anyone else have this problem?
Every time I try to turn over it feels like I have to lift 10 lbs. to turn. Then I get hot... covers off... then cold.. covers on!!!
Help
Kathy
ksl4139

Postby gottahavesun » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:33 pm

Hey Kathy,
Welcome to the boards--glad you found us!

Boy do I know how you feel--I have all over LE and wear optiflow RMs on each arm, closed gloves on my fingers, Reid Sleeves on my legs and a girdle with pads, plus a Cpap machine-and I still sweat and then get cold-lol.
What I do is put on a sheet and a small quilt(not thick) and keep a stand up fan blowing on me with the low setting. I'm not for one minute going to tell you these works 100% because I still wake up sweating and sometimes wake up cold, but I still leave the fan on because I would rather feel cold when I wake up then shut the fan up and sweat even more.
Don't fret though, you will find out what works for you and you will get use to the cumbersome bandages after awhile too. Hang in there!
gottahavesun

Postby Kim » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:56 pm

Hi Kathy,

You are not alone. At night I have both legs wrapped from toe to groin, along with jovi boxer shorts and bike shorts.

It is heavy and hot, and I to fight with the covers. I sleep with two fans on me at night but still get hot, and turning over is rediculous. All I can say is you'll get used to it...the heaviness anyway. I've been wearing this bundlesome nightwear for a year, and I still have nights where it seems that I never really sleep because of it.

I always used to sleep in full length silk nightgowns. Well, no more. I now sleep in a babydoll :oops: sleeveless nightie. It's loose and cool; much more comfortable. At first I tried sleeping with a cotton tank top, but that was hot because it lays right against the skin. What I have now is much better and helps as much as possible. The next step would be sleeping in the buff from the waist up :oops:, but I won't go that far. :lol:

Like some others here, every once in a while I go without compression at night. Sometimes I stay in my wraps during the day, and then leave them off at night, just for a break. I certainly do not do it very often, but every now and again my therapist said is ok. Just feeling the cool sheets on bare legs is wonderful, though after a year in wraps, it feels a little strange at the same time.

If anyone else has any grand ideas, I would love to hear them also!! :D Sorry to not be of much help, Kathy; at least you know you're not alone in this either.

Kim :)
Kim

Postby ksl4139 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:54 pm

What's a Reid sleeve? Also, I wear Jobst stockings and where it ends is almost to the top of my thigh. It seems to push all the fluid in the upper thigh and then it seems to just hang out there and in the crotch area. Does that sound familiar to anyone?
Sure is good to know I'm not alone in this.
Kathy
ksl4139

Postby gottahavesun » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:19 pm

The reid sleeves are night garments that push the fluid out. I wear a girdle and pads to help push the fluid higher than the top of my thighs(where the reid sleeves stop) but also do mld in the morning after I take it all off so it doesn't just sit there or move back down.
Reid sleeves were designed by a doc for his wife who had LE and they are padded egg crate foamed sleeves that cinch with velcro straps to help move the fluid out of affected areas. They are very expenses but I was lucky that my insurance company paid for them. 3 years ago they were 1800 for each custom leg piece. The optiflow rms that I use on my arms are like the reid sleeves but are not custom and when I just purchases a new set last month they were $400 a piece
gottahavesun

bandaging

Postby suzeeq » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:56 pm

Hi Kathy, can I empathize with you! I just started bandaging in October and experienced the same problems as you. But as everyone else has stated, you just get used to it. I am in Florida now on vacation and was worried about the heat and wrapping. I have been awakened several times in the night with sweats, then feeling cold later, but you just adjust. I have not missed a night, but we keep the air conditioning on. What I can't do this year is sit out in the pool all day with a bathing suit on and no hose. Too much pain, even just lounging. So I wear my hose and shorts. As for your thigh highs, I too had your same problem with the swelling moving higher. So now I wear one legged panty hose and this helps with the edema in my abdomen, buttocks and pubic area. Hang in there. It will get better. I am back to me thigh highs while here in Florida because they are opened toe and I can swear sandals. Susan
suzeeq

Postby mick sasse » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:16 am

After reading all of your problems it makes me feel so very lucky. I have to wear the thickest jobst during the day with bandaging also (left leg). (1992-now) I have to admit that sometimes I skip the bandaging though for a day. I am lucky however, that I have been told that I do not have to wear anything at night, but just to keep my leg elevated with a pillow and the bed end raised a little. Fine for me, but my wife has to suffer the raised bed end too. Oh well, it must be love eh?
mick sasse

Re: Can't sleep with bandages?

Postby francisjohonson » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:44 pm

Lucky for you mick sasee but i think ksl4139 should go back to his doctor to fix the problem.

:) :) :)
bipap vs cpap
francisjohonson

Postby Newmommy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:12 pm

I know no one has posted on this in a while but I wanted to tell you something funny. I was just diagnosed with primary stage 2 LE. I startled therapy and was stuck with the wrapping all day and night. Well, I strted getting like stinging pain in my foot at night. The next morning I found all the wrapping on the floor next to the bed. This happened to me twice. I have no recollection of taking it off. (My fiance doesn't believe me that I did it in my sleep.lol) So you are not alone. it is definately uncomfortable.
Newmommy

Postby LymphedemaGirl » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:06 am

Yes, it sure is a hassle with nightly wrappings. I am in the process of getting a nightgarment to slip on like a stocking, I think it is sort of a boot. It is meant for nights, so I imagine it should be relatively comfy. The brand names I know I can get where I am are JoviPak and Mobiderm, I think Mobiderm is a little lighter then JoviPak, but I am researching this. I came across a tip the other day about putting the night garment in the fridge during the day, which would leave it cool for the night, and apparently it keeps cool quite well. Will try that myself when I get it.
LymphedemaGirl

Return to Leg Lymphedema