If only I had listened......

leg pain, leg bleeding, Farrow Wraps, Compression Stockings, cold feet, Reid Sleeve, Restless Leg Syndrome, Leg Cramps, Compression Pumps, Shoes, lower limb lymphedema, secondary leg lymphedema, leg wrapping, Cold Feet, Compression socks, nerve pain, self leg massage, right leg lymphedema

Moderators: Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

If only I had listened......

Postby Strawberry » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:41 am

Boy........if only I had listened to other people who told me "lose weight". Now I'm facing what other folks here are dealing with - lymphedema of both legs, left is 2 inches bigger than the right. I go tomorrow to begin learning self massage and how to wrap my legs. I haven't yet figured out what I'm going to wear for shoes once my legs are wrapped. I am so mad at myself I could cry :cry:
Strawberry

Re: If only I had listened......

Postby blubrdfrend » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:31 am

Hello Strawberry, I don't think weight was the cause of your lymphedema. When I first started having problems with lymphedema I weighed 108. Weight loss will help with the pressure on your legs. It seems that many people with lymphedema are also over weight. I believe that the problem is lack of exercise and difficulty in walking. I am sorry that you have lymphedema but don't beat yourself up thinking that it is your fault or that you could have prevented it.
blubrdfrend

Postby Strawberry » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:52 pm

Thank You so much for your very kind words. I am also diabetic and the thought of problems with my legs really causes a lot of anxiety for me. I have been reading, or trying to educate myself, about lymphedema on the Internet. What puzzles me is - why didn't any of the doctors I've seen in the past 5 years diagnose my condition before now? I guess the important thing is that I do have an opportunity now to get treatment and maybe 'manage' this beast before it gets any worse.

Again........thank you for your response.
Strawberry

Postby joanne johnson » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:39 pm

Hi Strawberry!

Getting the correct diagnosis usually is difficult. Many health professionals just don't understand or not knowledgable about this condition. But now that you do know you will be empowered to help yourself and let others help you too. Just do your best and don't forget to go easy on yourself. Hang in there and be happy :)
joanne johnson

Postby Strawberry » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:34 pm

I truly do not understand where this 'depression' over my diagnosis is coming from. I jokingly told my husband the other day that "as soon as I have the time I'm going to have myself a good, long cry." I am overwhelmed by this condition and everything that I have to do to try and make it better.

At first the therapist said that I had about a 10% reduction in swelling, but now there isn't any improvement. The work of wrapping, unwrapping the leg and re-rolling the bandages everyday is difficult. Lymphedema is not the only chronic disease I have and yet it occupies a LOT of my day and my energy. And for what? If it isn't going to do any good, why continue? I haven't missed one day of wrapping or of doing the MLD exercises. I feel like such a freak!!! At the grocery store I see people looking at me and I just want to be normal again. But that isn't going to happen. Knowing I will never wear socks again or my shoes is so depressing. I have to wear men's shoes because the bandages make my feet even bigger. How do others manage your emotions?
Strawberry

Postby joanne johnson » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:37 am

Hi Strawberry

It is normal to feel some depression concerning some aspects of this condition. You can wear socks. Look for socks that say they are for diabetics as they are very stretchy. Actually, I buy them in the Dollar Store. My feet are very swollen and shoes can be a problem. I wear a 9EEEE. I don't like the shoes I am forced to wear because they are unattractive.
New Balance makes an attractive womans sneaker that actually fit my feet.

When both of my children got married I wore a lovely dress and horrible shoes. Nobody really cared but me. I learned to live with lymphedema and accept my fashion limitations. It is not easy, but possible. Best wishes to you.
joanne johnson

Postby smithre » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:17 pm

Hi Strawberry,
I have found that Birkenstock shoes and sandals work for me given that I can adjust then according to the differences in my feet, they have good arch support, and are attractive. I have lymphedema tarda in my left foot and ankle and understand the "looks" that we can receive from others in our communities. What has been helpful for me is swimming. It provides me with exercise, the water is easy to move around in, and others don't seem to notice my swollen limb.
Hopes this helps:) Rhonda
smithre

Return to Leg Lymphedema