I'm a freak Show

leg pain, leg bleeding, Farrow Wraps, Compression Stockings, cold feet, Reid Sleeve, Restless Leg Syndrome, Leg Cramps, Compression Pumps, Shoes, lower limb lymphedema, secondary leg lymphedema, leg wrapping, Cold Feet, Compression socks, nerve pain, self leg massage, right leg lymphedema

Moderators: Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

I'm a freak Show

Postby motherhen55 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:59 pm

Went to Meijers store a very big store that has groceries and everything else in in it. Ask for a mobile cart because it is so hard to walk. No motorized carts. 4 were dead and no one bother to plug them in to get charged. So I had to walk it with a normal cart. So waiting for a cart this family walks into the store and they have a little boy about 7 years old. He came in and was looking at my legs and turned around to his mom and said look mommy at her legs. I wanted to cry. So then this white trash guy and girl were in the isle and he was just starring at my legs. It is so hurtful. People has to know that it hurts my feelings. Why do they do it? Because there is only one reason why because they are to stupid to come up to me and ask what is wrong with my legs. Those that stare they are just plain ignorant. I know other here in the forum have the same problem and I do want to hear from all of you that have lymphedemia in your legs.But there is one positive experience from walking into Walmart and there was a man that stopped me and ask me what is wrong with my legs. I told him the whole story . He gave me a card of his and ask me to call him cause he is in an organization called Ambucks who give bikes to those that are disabled. So I went home and called him and he Emailed the info took it to my therapist she signed it and they ordered me a heavy duty Workman's bike. It cost 899.00 for the bike but with the extras and shipping it cost about 1300.00. I am so ever grateful to get this bike .I only wish that I run into a lot of Pat's instead of these other jerks. :o Why are people so mean?why do they stare?Say hateful things?

Kimberly
motherhen55

Re: I'm a freak Show

Postby ma1290 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:34 am

Hi Kimberly, sorry to hear about you experience. It can be difficult when people stare. Hang in there! The bike that you got sounds neat!
ma1290

Postby patoco » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:16 am

Hi Ya Kimberly

God can bring the sweetest lemonade from a batch of lemons.

LOL...if my legs weren't enough, now that I have an oxygen tank and tube, I get twice the looks. Just try to ignore those ignorant people. I learned a great little saying from a Catholic priest many years ago - pardon my spelling of Latin:

Illegitimi non carborundum - means don't let the bastards get you down :wink:

Big hug your way too

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby Strawberry » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:21 am

Kimberley

I am also sorry for your sad experience while you were shopping. I just found out this week why my leg has been swollen for so long. And already I'm getting the "stares" and "weird looks". You are not alone.
Strawberry

Postby blubrdfrend » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:21 pm

Kimberly, I am so sorry for your experience. I have had lymphedema since I was 17. I am now over 65. I can usually tell when an idiot is going to ask me stupid questions and I manage to dodge them. I went to the state park last Friday with family members. I actually went in swimming. I wore knee length shorts. The other group that was there didn't seem to notice my lymphedema. They were from a nursing home and were impressed with people who could walk. They were fishing without bait. The wind had blown their lines onto the shore and they were not complaining. A perfect audience for my first swimming trip in 50 years.

I must confess that I once told a lady that it was a disease that I caught from a person that I worked with. I was rubbing her arm during the explanation. She couldn't leave fast enough.
Betty
blubrdfrend

Postby patoco » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:30 am

blubrdfrend wrote: I must confess that I once told a lady that it was a disease that I caught from a person that I worked with. I was rubbing her arm during the explanation. She couldn't leave fast enough.
Betty

LOL....now you sound like you have my sense of humor. How funny.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby motherhen55 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:40 am

Thank you all what was said really helps. There are so many dumb ,ignorant people in the world. There was this little boy in the grocery store and he was just starring away at my legs. His mom was with him and I ask him not to stare please. The mom over heard what I said and she brought her son back and made him apologize. :wink: .Then I was at the grocery store and there was this fat lady and her daughter. And she was eating her cookie and starring at my legs. The mothers back was turned and I ask the little girl not to stare. Her mom turned around and said to me that she wasn't looking at your legs she was looking at her cookie. I said to her you fat cow how would you know what the little girl was looking at she was walking behind you and your back is turned.Then I said whatever you B----.I try so hard to remain positive since I have this. It makes me feel a lot better to know that there others just like me. Your positive comments help a lot. I too are on oxygen and have the lymphdemia. So I guess they have a lot to stare at. Please those who have Lymphademia please go to Ambucks in your area. I got a new bike because of the problems with my legs.The bike was free from donations. I love my new bike. Exercise is great for lymphademia. :) Take care everyone

Kimberly :D
motherhen55

Postby megthumm » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:43 pm

It is a shame the way people can stare. I had quite a bit of that as a kid with all my scars plus swelling. People can be mean. I have also had about one billion people ask me why I limp. I have stopped wearing anything but pants and don't usually even swim in my own pool. I know it's my own insecurity, but it just makes me feel so naked when I do. I just teach my kids not to stare, and not to judge people by what they look like. At least I know there will be two future adults with manners:)
megthumm

Postby Wendy » Wed May 15, 2013 8:35 am

I'm to the point where I don't care if they stare. If they are staring at me, they are leaving someone else alone. I do appreciate if someone comes right out and asks what's wrong with my legs. At least in Canada, Lymphedema is not very well known or understood, even by the medical profession. I usually wear dresses with long skirts since I can't fit into any pants as yet and it help to be wearing the skirts when they wrap. So people do really notice my legs unless I sit down.

You are NOT a freak show. You are a fighter and a winner for keeping on trying when we all know it can be very difficult.

Take care and ignore the small minds. :)
Wendy

Return to Leg Lymphedema