To Walk or Not to Walk

leg pain, leg bleeding, Farrow Wraps, Compression Stockings, cold feet, Reid Sleeve, Restless Leg Syndrome, Leg Cramps, Compression Pumps, Shoes, lower limb lymphedema, secondary leg lymphedema, leg wrapping, Cold Feet, Compression socks, nerve pain, self leg massage, right leg lymphedema

Moderators: Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

To Walk or Not to Walk

Postby blubrdfrend » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:10 pm

I have read post about members walking for exercise. I work in the yard, manage a blue bird trail and attend meetings of several groups, but that is the extent of my walking. I started using a buggy in the yard and on the bb trail several years ago. I thought that less walking would help my leg. Should I be walking each day? How much walking is good? Presently I have cellulitis so I am chair bound, hoping to avoid the hospital. :roll:
blubrdfrend

Re: To Walk or Not to Walk

Postby joanne johnson » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:16 pm

Hi

Walking is good as it gets the muscles working in your legs. Walk as much as you can that feels comfortable. I speak from experience having had lymph in my legs for about 30 years. I also have had multiple bouts of cellulitis. Aside from resting with your cellulitis I hope you are taking antibiotics. Swimming is also an excellent form of exercise as well as enjoyable.

I am glad that you found this site and will gain lots of useful information. We are here for each other at all times. Take care. :)
joanne johnson

Postby blubrdfrend » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:51 pm

Thank you for your reply. I am taking antibiotics. I think that I am seeing some improvement. I will take your advice and walk as much as I can and still be comfortable. We don't have a pool and I am hesitant about using the public pools in case I get a scrape or cut. I am gaining so much information on this site. My family is probably sick of hearing "Guess what else I learned".
blubrdfrend

Postby joanne johnson » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:24 pm

Hi

I am glad that you feel you are improving. It's nice that you share with your family what you learn on this site. You will continue to keep learning. You will also feel that you have more control over your health and daily living. Keep up the good work.
joanne johnson

Postby Yelsel » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:01 pm

Hello,
Glad to see you are keeping up the good fight against lymphoedema! I also have lymphoedema in both my lower legs and feet. I walk up to 1 hour and 40 minutes a day as part of commuting to my job five days a week. It hurts, and I often wonder the wisdom of doing this. To exercise, or not to exercise? I think the answer is, unless you are in extreme pain from lymphoedema, it is better to keep going. Consider the wider benefits of exercise - the endorphins, the social aspects of meeting people for pleasure or work, your heart health etc etc. Exercising doesn't seem to "help" my lymphoedema (maybe I need to start swimming..) but it has other benefits which are protective, and that's why my advice to you is to walk. Good luck :)
Yelsel

Postby patoco » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:49 am

Hi Yelsel

Thanks so much for your post, I totally agree with you. It is far better to keep going then to simply surrender. You're really sunk if you do that. Plus, keeping up as much activity is imperative to our overall health - not to mention the emotional/psychological benefits as you mentioned. :)

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Leg Lymphedema