comfortable without compression?

lymphatic fault, carpal tunnel, Sesamoiditis, Tendonitis in Foot, hot tubs, spas, jacuzzi, mattress toppers, cold weather, daily lymphedema management, Bandage Wrapping, Wrapping and Rolling

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

comfortable without compression?

Postby Kim » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:49 pm

Some of you have spoken of "taking time off" from wearing compression at night or sometimes during the day just to be free for a bit, especially when it's so hot.

My question...are you comfortable without compression?

It has gotten to the point where being out of compression is painful. I hurt so much more without compression....can hardly walk. Seems I need that pressure to provide relief. I used to look forward to shower and MLD time because that meant freedom from wraps or garment. If i'm perfectly still it's ok, but any movement at all is terrible. :(

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

On the bright side....our temps here have dropped into the 60s!! :D The windows are open and that wonderfully cool fresh air is filling the house! I actually was able to go out for a walk yesterday! :D It was so great! Just the day before we had like 80% humidity and the temps were in the upper 90s. It was like a sauna! Other than going out to check the mail, I didn't step foot outside the door! What a relief this cooler weather is, even if it's just for a few days! Can't wait to get out there again today! :D

Kim :)
Kim

Postby silkie » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:51 am

Hi Kim

I am one of the naughty lymphers that does occasionally
throw my supports to the wind.

I don't walk without them or do anything
i usually sleep without wrapping if i do it.
I had to have yesterday without because i had a fall earlier in the week
I think i may have inflamtion there tore the ligaments in my foot
now i have swelling in the leg and the supports have rubbed

I sat leg up but i have swollen a lot in th ankle area

so im doing mld twice a day and taking supports off when i can't stand the pressure of material on my skin

I do have painful legs if i try walking without them

but a relaxing afternoon legs up supports off is wonderful

I was actually a couple of weeks ago at The Lowry on Salford quays
on the Balcony cafe looking out over the ship canal a gorgous day
hot the sun dancing like diamonds over the water i thought my legs arn't missing this took off the supports to some very strange looks
I didnt care lewgs went up on an empty chair and i sat back and enjoyed every second of the sun on my legs

magic moment for me worth its weight in gold.

Great to here you can enjoy the breeze and the temps gone down
a magic moment for you to

Hugssssssssssssssss
Silks xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
silkie

Postby Kim » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:51 am

So sorry, Silkie, about your ankle. You most certainly didn't need that!

We do have to take advantage of those "magic moments"....good choice of words there. It's amazing how those moments would have been taken for granted before.

Nice to hear you enjoyed a bit of sun on those legs! One of these days i'll do something like that. I haven't been to the beach in ages. I'm thinking it's about time for a trip down there to spend some time feeling the ocean breeze and hearing the roar of the tide. Now that it's getting a bit cooler here, it would be wonderful. :D

Thanks for your response, and take good care of that ankle!
Kim :)
Kim

Postby h_festa » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:31 pm

I found to be more uncomfortable wearing the stockings.......so I am one of those bad people who should probably be wearing them but not. I am losing weight, about 20 lbs since June, and found the swelling to be not so significant. However, I have cut my hours at work in half, and am able to sit at work from time to time. I do plan to start going back to lymph drainage therapy as soon as I figure out the financial situation.
I'm glad the weather has decided to "cool it." We're experiencing sort of a cold front up north, it's a welcome relief from this past summer.
Best wishes to you!
h_festa

Postby gottahavesun » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:42 pm

I too need the support when I'm up and about. I find that if I go without I ache and feel very sluggish if I'm using my hands or standing.

I do go without my hose and reids at times but only at home in my recliner with my feet elevated and not using my hands much. I also go without support at night when I wake up and take off my reids.

I subscribe to the theory of getting by with the least amount of wearing compression necessary to manage my LE. It took me awhile to figure out how long I could go without and I do have to tweek it every now and then depending on the weather, the amount of activity, and the amount of swelling I'm having.

Kim, Give yourself some time for trial and error to see what will work for you in regards to how long you have to wear compression. If is really different for each of us and only you will know what is comfortable or not for your body.
gottahavesun

Postby Kim » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:52 pm

This is kind of interesting...

Right after I take off my supports (at night) or wraps (in the morning), my legs hurt so badly. But a couple of nights ago and then last night, I had to take the wraps off during the night. When I got up both mornings, my legs didn't hurt at all. Though it was a nice change to say the least, I found it very strange. :?

Could pain come from being in compression to much??

Kim
Kim

pain without compression

Postby suzeeq » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:34 am

Hi Kim,
I'm like you. I can't stand to be without my compression hose. When all this first started, I would exercise in the morning and not put my hose on until around noon. Now, I put them on as soon as I get out of bed. If I stand for longer than 5 minutes, my foot becomes mottled, very painful and then turns dusky. The achiness then travels up my entire leg. Not worth it, so now I take a quick shower and get them on as soon as possible. I have not been wrapping at night recently due to foot pain, but I have an appt. this afternoon for MLD and to get wrapped again, this time with more padding for my foot. So my leg has been "naked" during the night and I actually feel normal when I'm in bed. But eventually I have to get up and as soon as I swing my legs over the side, the discomfort starts once more. Oh well!
My leg looks like it might have decreased in size this week, but that is probably because I have had 3 migraines in the past 4 days, and have been in bed alot! But that is another issue.
Susan
suzeeq

Postby silkie » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:18 pm

Hi

Well today i went out to meet my friend in
Manchester supports on padding over the joint of the leg and upprt foor to prevent rubbing

I was in agony, I finished up taking the supports off
walking naked legged and there was pain and my legs kept feeling like they would give up the ghost

with both lymph and lip the problem is i have done so well with the lymph
the feet are lovely and flat but with lipedema you have an over hang of the legs over the ankle and those supports dig in (i have grade3 jobst)

the harder and slowe the walking became the more i leand on my stick now not only the legs are letting me know they are nor amused but my arms and shoulders to

i dont know the answer to this sensative skin i seem to now be more aware of each day (it feels like really bad sunburn with rough materia rubbing it)
if i dont wear supports or wraps i swell badly even taking a shower causes my legsd to swell badly

f i wear supports or wrapping i get runs and breakes in the skin and possible infection

Any ideas?

Bed time for me

weet dreams everyone
huggggggggg
Silksxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
silkie

Return to Our Daily Lives with Lymphedema