Mattress Toppers

lymphatic fault, carpal tunnel, Sesamoiditis, Tendonitis in Foot, hot tubs, spas, jacuzzi, mattress toppers, cold weather, daily lymphedema management, Bandage Wrapping, Wrapping and Rolling

Moderators: Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, jenjay, tkincheloe, Senior Moderators

Mattress Toppers

Postby Joanna Koepp » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:56 pm

I'm new to the forum and haven't gotten to know anyone yet. However, I have a burning question that I hope someone can answer.

Has anyone tried one of the new mattress toppers they sell these days, or thought about obtaining one from a company like Solaris that makes the Tribute garment? I've often wondered if they make sleeves and other garments, what about a mattress topper and would that have any benefit for us lymphedema sufferers.

I have a Tribute garment that I sleep in every night and it seems to help me manage my condition. But every little bit helps and am always looking for something to make it easier.
Joanna Koepp

Postby patoco » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:39 pm

Hi Joanna

Never heard of these for lymphedema. Are you talking about the regular type mattress toppers??

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Mattress Toppers

Postby Joanna Koepp » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:26 am

I'm actually referring to both, whether it be the mattress toppers that are currently available in stores, or if anyone has tried or talked to one of the companies that makes sleeves, and the like, to determine if there would be any benefit derived from a flat pad that one could sleep on.

I haven't personally talked to a therapist or company that makes these garments, but was wondering if anyone has.

Just food for thought.
Joanna Koepp

Postby butterfly » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:49 am

Hello! I quite fancy getting a matress topper myself. I saw one on qvc the other day and it looked quite good. My matresss is pretty hard and uncomfortable and I reckon a matrress topper might be good for comfort as well as le. Plus it will save me shelling out for a new matress!
butterfly

Memory foam

Postby wtryan » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:41 pm

I have one of those "memory foam" mattress toppers. It's very comfortable and a lot cheaper than buying a new mattress. It' won't help if your mattress is lopsided or has other problems, but will help make a hard mattress softer. I highly recommend one. Got mine at JC Penny - @ $130 for a King sized. This is that heavy "tempurpedic-type" foam, not the egg-crate lighter foam.
wtryan

Postby patoco » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:25 am

Hi Everyone :D

Been meaning to post this.

A number of years ago, an aunt had bought a new mattress for her sleeper sofa. I took the old one (still perfect shape and very comfy) and put it on top of my regular mattress.

Really helped a lot and I found it was much more comfortable then having just the regular matress.

Guess that's my topper :wink:

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby coyote » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:05 pm

My LE therapist suggested to me long ago when we established that I had full body LE, that I get an eggcrate foam or other mattress topper that had various channels, thinking it might help with my LE in my back and sides (I'm a side sleeper). I do think that helps. There is memory foam available like this by "Carpenter" brand, I think, maybe other brands, too.

I made my own solaris tribute mini topper by tearing apart my leg garments and putting them together all in one piece and now I sleep on that at night, too, around my middle. I sleep much better with it. I do think solaris or jovi pak should make big pads like that for us to sit on, lay on, etc. My LE therapist has one, btw, which she had lent me for awhile, so I know it isn't a new idea.

Julie E.
coyote

mattress topper

Postby Tania » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:56 pm

I tried the egg crate topper a long time ago. I don't think it was firm enough to break any thing up and get it moving. I've slept on the memory foam toppers and they are comfy, but don't do anything for the LE.

I have seen bags of chipped foam for sale, which is what I think they use in the "michelin man" garments. Maybe you can sew your own pads using that? You may have to sew by hand, because I think it might be too lumpy for a regular sewing machine to handle.

Tania
Tania

Return to Our Daily Lives with Lymphedema