I just got my stockings today....

lymphatic fault, carpal tunnel, Sesamoiditis, Tendonitis in Foot, hot tubs, spas, jacuzzi, mattress toppers, cold weather, daily lymphedema management, Bandage Wrapping, Wrapping and Rolling

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

I just got my stockings today....

Postby Barb » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:09 pm

I just received my first two pair of compression pantyhose today. I knew they were going to be difficult to get up, I knew it would take time. I have done everything I'm supposed to do... use rubber gloves with the textured fingertips, turn them inside out to the heel, work them up slowly with the palms of my hands.. .blah blah blah. But I could only get the up to my thighs. My caboose is large... I mean large... and there is no way I'll ever be able to get these things up all the way. I was pretty hopeful at first as I finally made my way up to my thighs. I actually thought there for a while that it might work. It took me 45 minutes to get that far. but I finally had to give up because they were so bunchec up and cutting off my circulation. I've been crying... I'm so sad. I was so afraid that my butt wouldn't go into these things. I don't know what to do. There is no way I can continue to work and be in bandages. I wear two full leg Reidsleevs at night. These were supposed to be my freedom but now I just feel more imprisoned than ever. I need help! :cry:
Hugs,
Barb
Kansas City
Barb

Postby monicaw. » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:33 pm

Hey Barb,

I want to say first that you are strong. I have LE in both my lower legs. I suggest that you contact your doctor or compression company. Maybe they can have you come in and help you putting them on the first time. Who knows you might have the same problem I did with mine. They somehow made then incorrectly. Just hang in there. We are here if you need to vent. Let me know how it goes.

Heres a hug. :)
monicaw.

Postby patoco » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:22 am

Hey Barb and Monie

Barb, I agree with what Monie said. Contact the therapist (who measured you) or the supplier or both.

Either they are not made properly or the therapist or supplier needs to help you on the process of getting those stockings on.

A lot of places will have you come in the first time so that they can show you that....tell them it's good cutomer service :idea:

Let us know what they say.

Here's another big hug to ya :!: :!:

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby Barb » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:15 pm

Well I have to admit that I jumped the gun. My appointment was already set up for this coming Friday with my therapist for my stockings. We didn't know what day they would come in exactly but we were sure it would be this week. Then when the orthotics company that we ordered them from called me and said they were in on Friday i went ahead and picked them up. I wanted to be able to put them on and not have to ask someone for help. I am so tired of not being totally independent. But I couldn't do it. They just won't go past my thighs. So I am now waiting to try it again until Friday when I go back to the hospital to see my O/T. I guess I should have waited but I just wanted to do it so badly by myself. I'm sure I'm not telling any of you anything you don't already know. :-)
Barb

Postby monicaw. » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:21 am

Hey Barb,

I just wanted you to know I understand. I am a person that likes to do for myself and be as independant as possible. But, Im glad you have your appointment on Friday. All I can say is hang in there. Friday will be here before you know it. Me and the rest of the family are here for support. Let me know how it goes ok :).
monicaw.

RE just got my stockings today...

Postby gottahavesun » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:33 am

Hey Barb--since you've by now had your appointment with your therapist to get your garments on--how did it go and how are you doing now donning them since it has been a couple of weeks??
gottahavesun

Postby marigold » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:55 pm

When I got my tights, the therapist showed me how to put them on. :) When alone, I could NOT do it! I was so frustrated! :evil: The next time I saw him, he showed me again and I saw what I was doing wrong. At first, it would take me about 15 minutes to get them on. Now I can do it in less than 5. I hate having to go to the bathroom, though, because afterward I can't manage to get the garment back into place as well as I had it when I first put it on. That's probably because I was sitting on the floor to put it on in the morning, not standing in a little cubicle! :P
marigold

Postby gottahavesun » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:09 pm

Too funny Marigold-after I go to the batheroom, get up from sitting, etc. I have to pull up my hose so that my crouch gets back in place, then pull up or down around my knee and then ahh I can go back to my business of going-my son always laughs when I do and asks why I don't do it in the bathroom but good gosh I sure couldn't go to the bathroom everytime I need to adjust my hose or I would never get to go anywhere.
gottahavesun

Postby Darlene » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:44 pm

Finding compression stockings are trial and error and very expensive. Over the years, I have bought dozens, only to find that they are uncomfortable either in the waist or foot or behind the knee. Then when I would find something that worked, it would get discontinued.

Hang in there and keep trying until you find the right ones.

Pantyhose are difficult. You might be best to just go with a thigh high with a silicone beading stay-up top. Much more comfortable.

Darlene
Darlene

Return to Our Daily Lives with Lymphedema