Craig's Firest Post

FLU SHOTS, trusting doctors, stomach swelling, compression garment fitting, perception of lymphedema, anger, shoulders, shoulder blades, pantyhose, benadryl, TB test, shaking leg

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Craig's Firest Post

Postby patoco » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:57 am

Craig G's. 1st post
Since 2000 when I was attacked by fire ants and subjected to mold, my legs have been a swollen mess. In the beginning Doctors would perscribe steroids, tell me to lose weight and don't pick. Finally I found a wound care Doctor who used uniboots to heal some large wounds on my legs. Then last year I had 3o treatments of lymph edema massage. support stockings work when i can get them on. In the same time frame, I quit smoking was walking daily lost 65 lbs, but as my legs got worse, i quit walking and gained 100 lbs. I have scabs on top of scabs recently i started to use basatracin. this created a gooy mess. so i switched to zinc oxicide which stopped the dranage. then I went to my internest. blood preasure meds, duredics and antahistimine for itch. within a week, my legs almost looked like legs again. How do I get rid of the scabs?
Posted: 28 Mar 2007 12:41 pm Post subject: Craig G's. 1st post
patoco
Site Admin

Postby patoco » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:05 am

Hi Craig

First, I just wanted to explain that I had moved your post to this section from our administrative section. Trying to keep that one just for announcements and such for the website.

Craig, guess my first question would be if you are under a doctors care. The diuretics are contraindicated for lymphedema. Unless you have another condition such as a heart condition or blood pressure problems you shouldn't be taking them. Diuretics can get rid of the water in your system, but they actually leave behind the waste protein of lymphedema.

This causes increased swelling in the long run and will help cause hardening of the tissues.

I would agree with what you have been told about picking. Don't....this will cause you to have a greatly increased chance of infection.

It may take some time, but eventually the scabs will fall off by themselves when the underlying tissue is healed enough.

Best to you!

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Lymphedema Family Talk