Which came first - the chicken or the egg & other questi

FLU SHOTS, trusting doctors, stomach swelling, compression garment fitting, perception of lymphedema, anger, shoulders, shoulder blades, pantyhose, benadryl, TB test, shaking leg

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Which came first - the chicken or the egg & other questi

Postby donsuzbee » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:44 pm

Anyone an expert on the depression part of LD? Do I get depressed because I ache so bad or do I ache so bad because I am depressed? It seems the 2 always go together. I have read much about persons with LD having depression. But not sure why it comes in cycles for me.

My office at work is very, very cold with the AC running. I cannot shut it off and have done everything possible. Now have a space heater and wear a shawl around my arms and shoulders. I know you are not supposed to put heat on LD, but it seems I now have a combination of LD and achiness from the cold. Any thoughts????

Thanks to you all for being there!!!!
God bless!
Susan
donsuzbee

Postby joanne johnson » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:23 pm

Hi Susan,
Lymphedema as like any other chronic condition is both physical and mental. I know it can be difficult but try not to let the mental part turn into long term depression.
On the lighter side I would be very depressed if I had to sit in a cold air conditioned office. I HATE the cold. I would also be all wrapped up and a heater at my feet! Isn't anyone else cold? Find out who controls the temperature and make them your best friend. Good luck, Brrr Brrrrr!
joanne johnson

Postby patoco » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:24 am

Hi Susan

It seems depression is not far from most of us with lymphedema.

I suspect it may be from a number of things.

Can't help but wonder what having all this extra fluid in our system does to our biochemistry.

Then on top of that is the pain factor. Pain in itself is totally demoralizing and wears ya down emotionally and physically.

OMG, and if that isn't bad enough, the frustration of not being to do things we want to, or if the lymph has progressed being able to do less and less as time goes on.

I seem to go in the cyle routine too.

But I do feel we have to be proactive...keep sluggin away and trying to keep going, trying to do things, be involved with life and others. Helps beek the cooty bugs away in our moods. Also, it helps to have some type of outlet for creativity like a hobby.

Here's to our family :!: :!: :!:

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby silkie » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:20 am

Hi Susan

I find if my swelling is a little out of control then i can get down
i think its to do with the toxins in the fluid making us feel yukki

I do know from experience when i am stressed my swelling increases
im more prone to infections

my lymph wen out of control twice first when i lost my mum
then when Dad went