Bad News for me my friends

FLU SHOTS, trusting doctors, stomach swelling, compression garment fitting, perception of lymphedema, anger, shoulders, shoulder blades, pantyhose, benadryl, TB test, shaking leg

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Bad News for me my friends

Postby Shirley Hogan » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:13 pm

Yesterday and today is s another cog in the wheel of life experiences. I may have the cancer back according to the ob gyn. Had a pap smear yesterday and mommagram will be done soon. Talked to Lymedema doctor and he told me not to do the lymph detox until we have prognosis. So guess my leg will swell again. I can still do the hose , and still wrap but no moving of the lymph. He stated get rid of the cancer first then they will help me with the lemphedema. Hope with putting my foot up a lot will keep the lymph from swelling to bad. I will ask to rush the tests,
just hopping that the changes she sees is caused by the radiation. bye all I am not going to worry till it is time :roll: oh if you have any comments to help me I would appreciate it. I just dont want it to go hard and get worse. Shirley
Shirley Hogan

Postby patoco » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:23 pm

HI Shirley

Soooo sorry to hear about what you're going through :cry:

By lymph detox, did you mean therapy?

Here's a new research abstract, you may want to show your doctor:

Can manual treatment of lymphedema promote metastasis?

J Soc Integr Oncol. 2006 Winter;4(1):8-12.

Radiation Oncology Department, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA.

Complete decongestive therapy (CDT; alternatively known as complete decongestive physiotherapy) is a treatment program for patients diagnosed with primary or secondary lymphedema. CDT incorporates manual lymphatic drainage (MLD), a technique involving therapeutic manipulation of the affected limb. There are several contraindications to performing CDT. Relative contraindications include hypertension, paralysis, diabetes, and bronchial asthma. General contraindications include acute infections of any kind and congestive heart failure. Malignant disease is also widely considered a general contraindication; a current vogue concept is that MLD will lead to dissemination and acceleration of cancer. However, cancer research supports the contention that this therapy does not contribute to spread of disease and should not be withheld from patients with metastasis. The intent of this article is to review these data.

PMID: 16737666 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... med_docsum

This may help with some new insight. More and more doctors are in disagreement about the concept that decongestive therapy causes metastasis of cancer.

The lymph doctor I went to maintains it won't.

Please keep us informed of your test results.

Special hugs to Ya

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Thank You Pat

Postby Shirley Hogan » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:41 pm

Yes Pat I did mean the manual mld therepy, couldn't think of the word for it. I am going to do all the swimming and walking and keeping the leg very clean. I will take that article with me to my appointment on Tuesday to show him. Thank you so much for giving me the tools so that I can get the best care. I am leaning on thinking that most of the signs are from the radiation, and happy to report they are rushing through the testing for me. I should know about most of it within the next 10 days. I will read some good books and do my drawings this up coming week, and take care of myself. We all here have our trials, to go through, but we are all survivors. I trust in my God, to carry me through this next obstacle. I am so greatlful to have found this place, other wise I really didnt know much about the lympth condition. I believe this was the first place I found after figuring out what it was I had. And the wonderful posts and support here are really needed by all LYMPHEDEME PEOPLE . Hope all that are suffering find this place. Thank you Shirley
Shirley Hogan

Return to Lymphedema Family Talk