friend needs help

FLU SHOTS, trusting doctors, stomach swelling, compression garment fitting, perception of lymphedema, anger, shoulders, shoulder blades, pantyhose, benadryl, TB test, shaking leg

Moderators: Birdwatcher, jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

friend needs help

Postby Kim » Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:57 pm

A friend of mine has been taking care of her mother. Her mom has been to a therapist and has been wrapping, doing MLD, and wearing compression hose, which has helped a great deal The problem does not seem to be LE but veinous insufficiency. I am including a letter that describes what is going on at present. Her mom is not able to get back to her therapist until next year, due to insurance. She wrote to me asking for advice, so i'm leaning on my wonderful friends here. Her mom's dr is of no use...just says "she's old, what do you expect?!" :x

"moms feet are swelling like balloons. they look like blowfish on the end of her legs. so last night we just wrapped her feet. seemed to work. its so hard to wrap her legs without getting that wrap around the ankle too tight. but its been working til now. i have noticed that her compression hose are too loose on the legs and we have to pull the excess down so the feet really have no support at all from them. i am wondering if we need to go get the smaller size of compression stockings cuz when we got them she was so swollen that they had to get her the medium even though it was slightly too large. so now that we have the swelling down in the legs maybe we need to get the smaller size and that is what is causing the swelling in the feet. or it could be we are just making some mistake when we wrap? what do you think? her feet aren't red or hot so i dont think its cellulitis but even the bottoms of her feet are swelling."

So anyone have any words of wisdom? I have my own thoughts, but wanted some extra input.

Thanks,
Kim :)
Kim

swelling feet

Postby marigold » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:00 pm

Kim's friend: Having absolutely no medical credentials, this is my opinion: I think you are right on target with your assessment. Your mom may need a different size of compression garment now. Has she been wearing something that is purchased over the counter? Then you could talk to the clerk in the medical supply store about getting a different size. What has she been wearing exactly? Often on these forums we refer to "compression stocking" or "garments" or whatever, but these can be several different items, as well as sizes.

I actually do find it a challenge to wrap my leg without binding too tightly at the ankle, especially as the ankle is the one spot I most want to keep from swelling. I just have to be sure to wrap with the foam under the bandages, and wrap them as my therapist instructed.

Marigold
marigold

Postby silkie » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:38 pm

Hiya Everyone

Ill fitting garments can do as much damaged as no garments at all

i would sugest that around the ankle i had problems with the bandages digging in my therapist pit a band of foam to cusion the bandages

it did stop the rubbing.

Also has your friends mom got a therapist ?

maybe giving her/him a ring might be helpful

Until you get garments that fit i would wrap your moms feet painful

i use a tupe stocking bandage then wrap with foam then my wrapping

the foam helps rubbing . the foam really helped to stop the bandages sticking in my ankle.

maybe also do not pull the bandage to tightly at the ankle and do in a figure of 8 style of wrapping on the foot and ankle

Hugssssssssssssssssss

Silks xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
silkie

Postby ann skinner » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:00 pm

hi kim...try socks for diabetics they are snugger in the foot are. and they also have some that message too. i also find that soaking feet inepsom salt and a little peppermint oil helps...good luck
ann skinner

Postby Kim » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:31 pm

Thanks all for sharing words of experience and advice. I'll send a quick email to my friend, and hopefully something will help her mom.

Silkie, she does have a therapist; she just can't see her until next year because of insurance. I did tell her that a call to the therapist, if nothing else, would be a good thing.

Thanks again,
Kim :)
Kim

Postby silkie » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:54 pm

Hi Kim

Let us know how shes gets on

will keep on thinking if there is anything else might help

huggggggggggg

silks

xxxxxxxx
silkie

Return to Lymphedema Family Talk