lymphedema surgery

FLU SHOTS, trusting doctors, stomach swelling, compression garment fitting, perception of lymphedema, anger, shoulders, shoulder blades, pantyhose, benadryl, TB test, shaking leg

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

lymphedema surgery

Postby Catherine » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:46 pm

A neighbor told me about a news report on a female doctor in Chicago or Charleston who performs a surgery that reverses lymphedema. She is a plastic surgeon (Marge or Marga) who worked with female French surgeon from Paris. Most of the patients got lymphedema in the arm after a mastectomy and the news story said they had great results in 6 weeks. Did anybody see this broadcast? Does anyone have any information about this surgeon? Has anybody been treated by this doctor? I would really like to find out more about this doctor.
Catherine

Re: lymphedema surgery

Postby ces672 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:06 am

i did see a show about a dr in europe that does a form of liposuction to get a limb back to the right size. it is not a cure, you still have to wear compression stockings forever.
ces672

Postby patoco » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:00 pm

One must be extremely cautious when using this intrusive liposuction procedure.

Yes, it sure does take the size of tghe leg down - but only temporarily. The swelling comes back even when using compresson garments and bandages. You also have to deal with th epossibility of infection, worsening lymphedema when it returns, and massive damage to thesuperficial lymphatics.

Just because a doctor is willing to do a surgery sure doesn't mean it's good for you.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby Mii » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:01 am

I think the Doctor (French) you refer to is Corrine Becker (not sure of the spelling). One of the surgeries she performs is the 'transplant' surgery. The problems (I feel) with this are:

1. There doesn't seem to be a lot of follow up research, so no long term 'definite results'
2. By removing lymphatics from one area to transplant to another, surely this must damage the area from which they're removed.

The lipo procedure works IF you have had the microsurgery procedure first, so that you have a functioning lymphatic system...I have posted about my own surgical experiences in "Microsurgery Campisi Style" and am so INCREDIBLY happy with the results I wish EVERY Lymphoedema sufferer could have the surgery!
Mii

Return to Lymphedema Family Talk