Tingling and Numbness Hands and some times Feet

FLU SHOTS, trusting doctors, stomach swelling, compression garment fitting, perception of lymphedema, anger, shoulders, shoulder blades, pantyhose, benadryl, TB test, shaking leg

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Tingling and Numbness Hands and some times Feet

Postby Shirl » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:27 pm

Wondering if any of my Primary Lymphedema friends here have ever experienced Tingling and Numbness of the hands and feet?
I get it far more in the hands; espcially when I wake up in the night or in the morning.

My hands can actually pain after its starts and it seems to last so long and the odd day; comes and goes all day long.
My feet do it ocassionaly as well.

Would appreciate hearing from any one with this experience or suggesting what may be happening.
Thanks Shirl
Shirl

Re: Tingling and Numbness Hands and some times Feet

Postby Kim » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:19 pm

Hi Shirl,

I know what you're talking about! It doesn't happen to me every night, but more often than not. If i'm laying on my right side, my right hand will start to tingle then go to sleep...then comes the pain. Same thing happens when i switch to my left side. That means sleeping on my back...which means no sleep at all. So i toss and turn all night. :x

I do not wear compression on my arms...yet. I'm putting that off for as long as I can. So...during the night when I have the tingling, etc, I do some work...starting with clearing the arm pit area on down to my hand and back up. I've gotten pretty good at doing this in my sleep..well almost. I also try elevating my arm, which helps. My thought is that laying on my side puts pressure under the arm and cuts off circulation and lymph flow, which in turn causes the tingling and so forth. When i've had several nights of this though, i'll see my therapist. She always finds a blockage that I couldn't reach...more like behind the arm pit. I call her my miracle worker; after she works on me, i'm back to sleeping at night again. :) There are days though where my hands will tingle and start to go numb. I'm always working on my hands/arms during the day. I'm not really even conscious of it anymore. And my feet...if i sit for very long, they'll start bothering me to. I either get up and walk...which is best, or wiggle my foot around...anything to get some flow going.

My legs are wrapped at night, and occasionally I have the same thing happen with my feet. That however, is due to the wrap needing adjustment...like in the ankle where i've gotten it to tight or somewhere else in my leg. I'll get up and try walking around, which will sometimes take care of it, but usually it means rewrapping...ugh!

I don't know about anyone else, but that's my take and experience. It's very annoying, I know. I have no doubt that there will be others who share the same thing. I think it's just part of LE. :(

My best to you,
Kim :)
Kim

Re: Tingling and Numbness Hands and some times Feet

Postby Shirl » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:14 pm

I don't see my reply to this but thanks so much Kim for your feeback.
Its so good yo know that I am not alone with this.
Thanks again.
Shirl
Shirl

Return to Lymphedema Family Talk