NSAD's

FLU SHOTS, trusting doctors, stomach swelling, compression garment fitting, perception of lymphedema, anger, shoulders, shoulder blades, pantyhose, benadryl, TB test, shaking leg

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

NSAD's

Postby Shirl » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:10 am

Somwhere along the way of my reading a lot of the posts here I came across Pat mentioning not to take NSAID's.

Pat can you enlarge upon this please.
I need to know whether to place this on my list of NO in my file at my Dr's office.
Thanks so much. Shirl
Shirl

Re: NSAD's

Postby patoco » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:40 pm

Hey Shirl :)

I'll have to look and find that study on NSAID's. One way our lymph system moves fluids is through the minute contractions of the system itself. NSAID's actually have been shown to stop those contractions. This is the reason why you see edema listed as a possible side effect, and that's the number one reason lymphers shouldn't use NSAID's. That's a real downer to me, because it did (liquid gel caps) actually help the pain level when I took them.

When I find that abstract, I'll post it. In the meantime, I wouldn't take any nsaids.

Pat 8)
patoco
Site Admin

Postby Shirl » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:14 am

Thanks Pat. I am not sure if that was part of the eye drops they gave me for 4 weeks folowing my eye surgery.
I know it was a combination of antinflamitory and also an antibiotic.
And i think they gave me a cortisone shot in my shoulder at the time of surgery; and oh I just remembered they gave me two cortisone shots in rt right knee when they did the left knee replacement in 2003.
But other than that I don't take them.
Thanks again Shirl
Shirl

Postby swelly17 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:07 pm

Pat,

Any more update on this? I started paying more attention to pain killers I use, and almost all of them are NSAIDS. Even most (good) cold medicines have an NSAID pain reliever.

Are there any alternatives other than Tylenol (which has never been very effective for me)?

Ann
swelly17

Return to Lymphedema Family Talk