Weight Gain!

FLU SHOTS, trusting doctors, stomach swelling, compression garment fitting, perception of lymphedema, anger, shoulders, shoulder blades, pantyhose, benadryl, TB test, shaking leg

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Weight Gain!

Postby angel » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:36 pm

Hi everyone-
Just a question about weight gain. I am normally about eight stone. When I am at my worst swelling-esp in my stomach my weight goes up about 5-7 pounds. It goes up and down now which I find really frustrating because I eat well and exercise.
:cry:
Does anyone else get this?
I am trying to tone up all my non le bits as much as possible but my shape had changed due to the swelling-I have always been a size 8 on top but now i'm a size 12 on the bottom. Just need some advice!
thanks
angel

Postby Kim » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:29 pm

Hi Angel,

I understand completely. I was a size 12, and now i'm a size 14 and at times 16 :x due to swelling. And yes, my weight goes up and down due to fluid mainly in the abdomen and behind, but also in the tops of my thighs. I do what I can, but there are times that I just swell up. Sit ups (not rigorous!) and deep breathing seems to help with the abdominal swelling.

Exercise, good nutrition, and drinking lots of water are very key, but it sounds like you're already doing that. I do find that the more carbs I have, especially bread, the more I swell. Salt is a real culprit for me also. If I stick primarily with fruits, veggies, and chicken or fish, and little to no salt or fats, I have fewer bouts with extensive swelling. There is always some to a degree though.

We can do our best to take care of ourselves, but unfortunately swelling is part of the LE beast. Keep at it though; sounds like you're right on target. :)

Kim
Kim

Postby angel » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:25 pm

Thanks Kim.
Got any ideas Pat?
angel

Postby patoco » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:19 pm

Hi Angel

I think Kim pretty much hit it on the nail. These weight flucuations are fairly commony with lymphedema, including myself.

I also want to second what she said about diet, little to no salt and low fat. It does help.

Keep up the exercise too - it is very important for overall health.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby angel » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:31 pm

thanks pat and Kim!
angel

Re: Weight Gain!

Postby Nicolian » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:43 pm

There is a book out called diet for lyphedema. I didn't care for it much since it was written in Australlia and I live in the states. Hence the food ideas sounded gross to me. The one thing that stuck out to me from the book was to eat low carb and keep your ph balance high with losts of lemon and apple cider.
Nicolian

Return to Lymphedema Family Talk