leg bandages & driving

leg pain, leg bleeding, Farrow Wraps, Compression Stockings, cold feet, Reid Sleeve, Restless Leg Syndrome, Leg Cramps, Compression Pumps, Shoes, lower limb lymphedema, secondary leg lymphedema, leg wrapping, Cold Feet, Compression socks, nerve pain, self leg massage, right leg lymphedema

Moderators: Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, tkincheloe, Senior Moderators

leg bandages & driving

Postby cate342 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:46 pm

I also posted on the daily living forum. Am new to this & getting left leg wrapped daily by therapist. Can I drive when my right leg is wrapped?
What do all of you do? The hospital ortho shoe seems too wide to be safe so can I drive if I take it off & drive with bandaged foot? My therapist hasn't had a case like mine so didn't know the answer.
What do people do about this? Thanks for any help.
cate342

driving all bandaged-up

Postby eve alvirIII » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:18 pm

Hi Cate,

Yes I've done it for all the months that I've been wrapped while in therapy. I driven to and from my therapist which is about 15 miles away. The only few times I couldn't and didn't . were when my "dumb" therapist caused my leg to hurt from tight bandaging. My new therapists now emphasize that "tight" bandaging is not the answer. You're supposed to be comfortable, unless there are bone or sore problems. Aside from the Mon-Fri. daily therapy, I go on the weekends to babysit my four grandkids in Rockland couty - an hour and a half away. Yes, I get exhausted, but the lymphedema right leg and fibrotic foot didn't stop me from driving.

During those months (9 months all in all) my right leg was heavily bandaged and encased in that beautiful blue orthopaedic shoe. Now I have on crocs and in pantyhose-style garment.

Hope this helps.
:D
Eve
eve alvirIII

Return to Leg Lymphedema