Laser use in Lymphedema

Exercises, Diets, Nutrition, Vitamins, Health, Coping, gardening, herbal remedies, truncal lymphedema, chronic illness, breathing, stress, arm exercises, leg exercises, water exercises, low impact exercises, weight training, chair exercises, resistance exercises, stretch exercises, lymphatic drainage, detox patches

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Laser use in Lymphedema

Postby waterats » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:27 pm

I have now had 5 laser treatments for my arm and hand lymphedema. If you haven't tried it...it is worth a shot. My swelling has gone down some...but mostly the skin is softer and it seems to have busted up the fibrotic areas. I am pleased.
waterats

Postby tsegadesta » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:33 pm

Hi waterrats, do you know if this treatment available in Washington state? I have bilateral lymphedema in the legs and wanted to try it. Thanks.
tsegadesta

Laser use in Lymphedema

Postby waterats » Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:27 pm

I would assume it is. The FDA just approved the use of laser for leg lymphedema. I would call around the physical therapy places in your area. I just had my sixth treatment yesterday. It is amazing how hard areas or now normal. Good luck.
waterats

Postby silkie » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:02 am

Hi Water

With laser treatment do you still have to do the self care of your limbs?

does it stop the lymph fluid?

Does the treatment have to be repeated over the years?

How does it stop the fluid re damaging the tissue?

does it stop the fluid returning to the treated areas ?

is itr a repair job or a cleanup job?

Hugsss

Silksxxxxxxxxxxxxx
silkie

Postby eve alvirIII » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:48 am

Hi Waterrats....I think this is heavensent news to desperate fibrotic limbs like me.

Patoco - please help. Tell me please whom to see in New York City .I live in Queens, but near Long Island is just as good. I don't think my therapist knows about laser treatments. I am on my fourth month, my 105th treatment (very expensive, paid by my insurance). The leg has come down a lot, but my fibrotic foot is still swollen, there's pain in toes and I'm so tired of it all - visits to therapist, bandaging, foot doctors, etc. :P
eve alvirIII

Laser use in Lymphedema

Postby waterats » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:00 am

http://www.lympholaser.com.au/index.htm
This is an article on laser in lymphedema in the legs. I go to a physical therapist here in Florida. She has a laser machine in her office that she uses on my hand and arm lymphedema. I would ask your therapist or call around and see who has the machine. It is fast and painless. I have seen such a dramatic difference it is unbelievable. I wish you success as well. People who don't suffer from lymphedema have no idea what we go through. So, this is such a relief for me because it actually works.
waterats

Postby silkie » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:04 am

Hi

What qualifications do we look for for laser treatment?
Surely there is a treatment where highly experienced proffesionals
would do the treatment its not something that someone can go out and have a few weeks course on?

would someone giving treatment for cronic condition etc be medically trained?

Have we any guidlines on this please

Silksxxxxxxxxxx
silkie

Laser use in Lymphedema

Postby waterats » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:47 pm

I am not sure of how the therapists are trained for laser use. You would have to ask in your area. My therapist said she has used it for years, prior to FDA approval in the states. Check out the website in the link I sent in the prior email for legs...if you use your mouse you can see how the person improved with the before and after photo's. My laser was for my hand and all the fibrotic areas are now gone. It has been a miracle. I don't know the longevity of it all, but I can always go back for more. I still wrap at night and use compression garments during the day, but my hand looks nearly normal again. Plus it is a lot less painful. It seemed to ache all day prior to the laser. I was surprised no one else on here had tried it yet. I was very skeptical at first, but I said, "why not", nothing else is working. You will notice the fluid move out immediately, but after a couple of months you will really see a difference. I have had 8 treatments. Each time takes just minutes and there isn't any pain.
waterats

Postby silkie » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:53 pm

It has been used here in the UK for a little while on arm lymph

in conjuntion with the cancer clinics

My concern is not the working of the laser it seems to have had good results with arm lymph
but many cosmetic clinics are using them . I really think guidlines of
who can do such procedures should be published

We recently had someone that had a birthmark removed in uk wheat went terribley wrong Im sure it is not the norm but i think legislation should be in place as we have qualificarions as in vodder trained therapist etc for lymph we also have the same for laser treatment of lymphedema i am looking round to see what i can find i just wondered if you new save me a search lol
thanks im glad its worked for you

Hugg
Silksxxxxxxxxxxxxx
silkie

Return to Lymphedema Lifestyles