"FLYLADY: We Are Not Our Diseases"

Exercises, Diets, Nutrition, Vitamins, Health, Coping, gardening, herbal remedies, truncal lymphedema, chronic illness, breathing, stress, arm exercises, leg exercises, water exercises, low impact exercises, weight training, chair exercises, resistance exercises, stretch exercises, lymphatic drainage, detox patches

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Postby patoco » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:09 pm

I wanted to share a thought provoking little article that I received from one of our members.

This is from a group called:
FlyLadyMentors@yahoogroups.com

FLYlady stands for Finally Loving Yourself Lady. Her plan is to do things in small steps (15 minutes at a time) and her philosophy is "I can do/put up with/stand/deal with ANYTHING for 15 minutes."

Pat

Dear Friends,

We put labels on ourselves all the time. Why do we do this? I feel that the use of these labels is another form of making an excuse. Let's not even talk about the labels we put on our children. Here are some of the Labels that are used often.

ADD
ADHD
MANIC
DEPRESSED
ARTHRITIC
BIPOLAR
FIBROMYALGIA
ALCOHOLIC
DYSFUNCTIONAL and many other disorders.

We are not our medical and mental problems. When we label ourselves with these, I feel that we give up and say there is no help.

We all have one problem or another. Would you put your problems in a hat with everyone else's on this list and draw out a new one for yourself? I would not. My goal for our group is that we establish new habits and routines in our lives. To do this we have to realize that there are things in our life that we have to learn how to work around. As one Dear Friend of mine calls herself. She is not handicapped, She is HANDICAPABLE. Let's use our problems to our advantage. See our glasses as half full instead of half empty. It is all in our attitude.

Even on your worst days, if you think about others that are less fortunate than you, and look to help someone, your darkness will lift and your burden will be easier to bear. Don't forget to turn up the corners of your mouth and SMILE!!!!

Keep FLYing,

FlyLady

Lymphedema People

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com
patoco
Site Admin

Postby silkie » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:42 am

Hi Pat

Thanks for this
I must say labels in general are the pits but for me
and many many Primary lymphers and lipos well
I waited 40 years for "my label"or should i say CORRECT LABEL

The collosal weight off my shoulders the feeling of being paranoid GONE
the finally finding someone that cared and wanted to help me

Oh how i wished like so many i had had MY LABEL at the beginning of all this i now know as lymph

Maybe i would be still running after my grandkids, or walking my hills
dancing,

JUST MAYBE IF I AND THOUSANDS OF OTHERS HAD HAVE HAD THE LABEL WE COULD HAVE HELPED OURSELVES MORE

AND FOR ALL THOSE STILL OUT THERE WITHOUT A LABEL
WELL JUST MAYBE THEY WOULD HAVE HAD HELP AND SUPPORT LIKE WE ALL HAVE FOUND FROM OUR MEMBERS FORUMS AND YOU IRISH

I am glad i finally got a LABEL God knows where i would be now without it

hugggggggggggggggggggg

Silkie Primary lymphedema/lipodema Label no label for 40 years no help
Thank God i have one now
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
silkie

Return to Lymphedema Lifestyles